project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2009-01-31, 18:16   #1
SSG Jay

Exclamation Basic Tactics of a Infantryman

Ok I am going to post some basic real-life strategies that are key elements to survival down range. These techniques are used by today's military forces and are great survival strategies for various occassions.

First up : Squad movement

Okay first tip is basic squad movement. In this scenario you are crossing a wide street. There may or may not be enemy fire and the area may or may not be secured. In this case your the one who's going to cross to provide view and fire support from the other side. First thing you want to always do before moving is find a cover and conceal position, never rush into an open spot, not only will you be spotted if your being watched, but you will be open to fire.

On VOIP you give the notice, "Buddy(their name), cover me while I move. They will reply, Buddy(your name) I got you covered. While being under cover of your squad member, rush to your position.

This is where the second basic strategy comes in.

Second up : In and out of sight

This skill is not only a great tactic but it goes along with the first tactic. It's very simple so I'm going to be very brief about it
Though I wouldn't quite say statistics, it is said that it takes the enemy 3-5 seconds to spot an enemy and fire as a response. In real life I would give it 5 seconds but since this is a game I will give it 3. This tactic is great for avoiding being spotted but is mainly used to avoid being hit by enemy fire.

So you just got the cover from your buddy to move, you've looked for your next cover and conceal position. You rush to that position but while your rushing in your head your reciting the phrase "I'm up, they see me, I'm down." By the time you say your down you should already be in your covered area, protected from enemy fire, if your not then more than likely if there's anyone there, they are firing at you.

Small tip : Don't travel in straight lines in forest/jungle maps, always keep 5m distance between each team member, grenades have a kill radius of 5m and critical radius of 25m, that medic who was right behind you could of been there to watch you get hit and save you.

Small tip : The first rule in the military to being a combat medic is to SECURE THE AREA. NEVER try to revive someone before you know that the area is secured. Alot of people will try reviving players with enemy fire still around, or without knowing it's safe. As soon as the guy is up, oh shit they see him, hes down

Small tip : Never leave your squad, even if your going to go check a building with other squad members guarding outside, always have somebody with you, you should ALWAYS patrol with another team member no matter where your going. If you are setting up a sniper you should update him on every enemy position and possible enemy ambush that could compromise their position, never leave a sniper in to fight alone, they are protecting you from enemies you can not reach and may be a threat to you.

Small tip : Never go fully automatic with a light machinegun, always fire in burst of 5-9 shots. A effective way to make sure you don't overheat is to use the phrase "Squeeze, and release".

Sunday, Feburary 1st, 2009

Small tip : Always check your fire, if there is a enemy in view that's not firing always check the target before deciding wether it is hostile or nuetral target, it would be better for the target to be on the move and had gotten away than to fire at it to then find out it is friendly or civilian.
More tactics soon! See you down range.

Friday, June 19th, 2009
This is the basic squad structure
Each basic squad should consist of the following
Squad Leader(Officer kit)
Grenadier
Automatic Rifleman
Rifleman
Medic
Light or Heavy AT, which would be considered a Rifleman

But due to the limitations on kits in PR which i find to be unrealistic, every squad cannot have those kits at the same time. So if your the lucky squad who can get those kits then thats the recommended.

Urban Op
This method is very useful to clans that utilize the whole team for play
Its involves the need of an entire team to be sucessful.

For infantry, some parts of being successful in urban operation requires squads who work together. In every case of this game you have each squad with absolutely no communication, just carrying out their own plans in which they never have plotted out, always a "uhm...uhh...ok we are gonna" method. In this case
you will have 3 squads, 1 platoon. A squad is usually composed of 9 to 12 and even more members but we are limited to 6.

These 3 squads are going to be given 3 names:
Left Flank Squad
Center Squad
Right Flank Squad

This method is very affective in assault on single squads and offers maximum firepower to the center squad. The intent of this tactic is to allow the center squad enough power to take out the target.

Center Squad will be suppressing upon deployment of squad 1 and squad 3.
As the flanks get into their position upon the enemy they begin supressive fire allowing the center squad to move in and secure the enemy position, not only giving the enemy very little options for escape but keeping them pinned down in their cover. We all know the rule if you can clearly kill the enemy, by all means lay him on his back, but the only objective the flank squads have is to move in to their position to provide suppressive fire, they are not in to assault the enemy, this is the objective of the center squad.

From the field manual - This formation allows the delivery of maximum fire to the front and very little to the flanks. This formation is hard to control, and it does not lend itself well to rapid movement. When two or more platoons are attacking, the company commander chooses one of them as the base platoon. The base platoon's center squad is the base squad. When the platoon is not acting as the base platoon, its base squad is the flank squad nearest the base platoon. The machine guns can move with the platoon, or they can support by fire from a support position. This is the basic platoon assault formation. The squad leader positions himself where he can best control the squad

Im pretty sure half of you dont even get what that means but anyway. Thats all for today.
Last edited by SSG Jay; 2009-06-20 at 00:02.. Reason: Updates
Old 2009-03-23, 05:08   #2
Astromici
Default Re: Basic Tactics of a Infantryman

Awesome tips, keep it up! I've always sorta screamed at squad leaders in my head who just run across the street and have their team follow. For medics: Treating the injured is your SECOND priority-Keeping yourself alive is the first.
Astromici is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 09:43   #3
ZiRo

I'll throw a spanner in the works here.

I'll happily run my squad across the street without cover, unless I know or suspect strongly that enemy are in the area. It's difficult to do properly, it takes too long to explain, it takes longer to perform and chances are there aren't any enemies around and if there are it probably won't make a difference to what happens.

Other than that, it's a good tactic and should be used, but fact of the matter is, it's a game and hard to do properly, so usually doesn't happen.
ZiRo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 00:59   #4
Astromici

Lock it up, Private!- My way of saying that I understand your opinions are important, but I disagree with them. Another:
Quote:
If you can't kill it- leave it alone, or it'll kill you.
Last edited by Astromici; 2009-03-24 at 01:28..
Old 2009-03-24, 04:39   #5
Cavazos

Whats your average kills and kill to death ratio at the end of a round SSG?
Cavazos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 08:31   #6
ZiRo

"If you can't kill it- leave it alone, or it'll kill you. "

I agree with this totally. I regularly ask my squad not to engage unless spotted for fired upon, just call out targets. It encourages communication and teamwork.

It also allows me to assess the threat and our tactical position after our position has been revealed. It gives me the opportunity to lead the squad into a more advantageous position (usually -really- -really- close) and make that action decisive rather than have a long range shoot out.

As a result my squads engagements usually last <20 seconds. I can think of 2 instances where we've taken out a squad and FB without the enemy even having a clue they were about to be attacked, with the assault element lasting less than 10 seconds with 0 casualties, numerous confirmed kills and FB down.

It's a good tactic.
ZiRo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 09:18   #7
PFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiRo View Post
I'll throw a spanner in the works here.

I'll happily run my squad across the street without cover, unless I know or suspect strongly that enemy are in the area. It's difficult to do properly, it takes too long to explain, it takes longer to perform and chances are there aren't any enemies around and if there are it probably won't make a difference to what happens.

Other than that, it's a good tactic and should be used, but fact of the matter is, it's a game and hard to do properly, so usually doesn't happen.
This is a tactic that works better with people you know who are used to this kind of coordination.

Its the basics of infantry squad movement.

Traveling - Just moving as a unit in formation when you expect no contact

Traveling Overwatch - For when you think contact is somewhat likely

Bounding Overwatch - for when you expect contact

The first is just the blob moving around with no concerns, the second one is the idea that you move as two groups with one watching the other so that as one receives the fire the other is still free to engage and flank or otherwise support.

The last is bounding overwatch which is what is being discussed here. That means one person sits still while the other crosses. Its effective, its not that hard. I do it all the time squad leading. As long as you know your squad members' names its easy:

"Guy 1 2 and 3 (usually selected at random or roughly based on kits) you stay here and watch for enemies, the rest of you follow me."

With a move marker, its that easy to provide bounding overwatch. You can be way more picky about how it works, organize fireteams and assign sectors of fire, but its mostly unnessesary.

Be fast but not reckless. Choose your tactics based on the situation and thats all down to experience and feeling it out.

----

Yea 5 second rule is good. But in general always move with cover in mind. Always expect to be engaged and therefore think about where you as if you're going to get shot at any moment. Is this a suitable fighting position? Does it leave me exposed towards likely enemy positions? Its easy to do unconsciously, especially if you're a compulsive map checker like I am.
PFunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 05:46   #8
Astromici

That's also much easier with fireteams.

Without fireteams:
SL: Uh..(Reading squad list) Johnson, Keyboard, and monster, cover me... Mr. Crocadile, and Mickey while we run a cross the street.

With fireteams:

SL: Fireteam 1, cover-Fireteam 2, we're moving across. Let's go!
Astromici is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 10:35   #9
SSG Jay

Sorry I haven't been on lately, been busy pleasing my commanding officer for the last few months. But I got enough free time to get some play in again so expect more tactics as I advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromici View Post
Lock it up, Private!- My way of saying that I understand your opinions are important, but I disagree with them. Another:
Quote:
If you can't kill it- leave it alone, or it'll kill you.
This is a very important thing to understand. If you are in a position where you can not harm the enemy, firing upon them reveals your position and wastes your ammo and evasion time. If your position is already compromised it still wastes your ammunition and gives the enemy time to advance on you, focus fire lethally or ambush you. If you can not kill the target, you should avoid comfrontation and create a ambush or evasive strategy.

I also would say another thing I have found to be a problem is team members firing upon targets that are infront of another team member in certain situations that limit your ability to make firing space. In ex. You are in a ally and you have a team member infront of you then a enemy pops up at the end of the ally. Your thinking "Oh shit shoot!", Then next thing you know, the enemy moves right and your teammate just took your 5.56 in the back of the head because your locked on to the target. If you have no way of adjusting to allow a decent amount of space for your forward range of fire you should hold your fire.

Ok a very serious issue that arrogant people tend to have is forcing team kills and blaming it on the teamkiller. One of the prime causes of this is you see someone firing rounds down range using a M249SAW. Obviously he's shooting at a possible enemy location or firing as a means of suppresive fire.

The M249SAW is a support weapon, if one was being fired in your direction you would not want to get in it's path so you would stay back, which is what makes it great for suppresive fire. Now due to some people refusing to treat a game based on reality as real, they will run pass the fire anyway, but thats not the point.

So anyway hes firing down range and you are trying to cross, you don't want to allow him the time to a seize fire so you just run right on by and next thing you know your on the ground screaming medic, and talking on teamchat "You stupid $@#%^$% @$$ Tker!, #$%$#%@# noob!". But whos fault was it really? Too many people run right into friendly fire and think its not their fault, quit being arrogant, this is suppose to be about teamwork not you trying to be on the top of the world at all points of the game period.
Last edited by SSG Jay; 2009-06-12 at 10:49..
Old 2009-06-12, 17:02   #10
Tiger1
Supporting Member

SSG
Quote:
"I'm up, they see me, I'm down." By the time you say your down you should already be in your covered area, protected from enemy fire, if your not then more than likely if there's anyone there, they are firing at you.
Right on SSg. You hit it spot on, but as your post is named: It's the basic soldiering. Same deal in Northern Europe. ''Jeg er oppe!, Han har set mig!, Jeg er nede!'' What part of the US military are you serving? SSG Jay?
Tiger1 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, infantry, infantryman, squad, tactics, teamwork, tips