project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
07 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2004-12-15, 02:28   #1
Ugly Duck

Default Tank hatches

OK, the new challenger model got me thinkin'. THere are harches as well as periscopes modelled onto it already. Why not make these functional. Assuming of course you go with crew served tanks. The driver and commander(guy on top MG) could use the up/down hatch keys that would move their player model up and down while closing and opening the hatch. When closed theyd see through a periscope, when open they would be able to look around freely. As commander the same, since his main role is to spot targets, then use the .50 cal or whatever is on top. The gunner would be given his normal targeting view.
****IDEA****
Make the periscopes so they can be disabled with a well placed shot. That makes snipers half usefull, however youd have to be a great shot and have a high powered rifle to take down a periscope. I dont think a SPR would do the trick. Tanks would still function, but drivers and commanders wouldnt be able to function without opening the hatch and exposing themselves to small arms fire.

This feature would also make tanks more vulnerable in citys and such as they are IRL as they could be fired at by small arms when open, and when buttoned up snuck up on from the sides/rear.
Ugly Duck is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 03:50   #2
solodude23

Yeah but if you have a strong enough caliber rifle or high enough velocity thats full auto you could easily hit it no problem. But the tan kahtch Idea sounds good.
solodude23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 13:11   #3
PunkRockerDave

The glass on the periscope is way to thick to be shot out by a sniper but I like the hatch idea.
PunkRockerDave is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 20:35   #4
Ugly Duck

While the snipers bullet may not be able to penetrate it. A well placed shot from say, a 7.62 or a .50 cal would probly be enough to crack the glass so that vision is impared to the point where its inefective. However most small arms wouldnt be enough to damage it AND these things are relatively tiny when looking at them. Theyre no bigger than a persons head, smaller I think, and they arent sticking out into space, theyre down on the hull/turret surrounded by armour. So only a good shot, with a big gun, could acomplish this. That or itd be a good place to aim if your in a tank vs tank thing as if he cant see hes as good as dead.
Old 2004-12-15, 23:17   #5
solodude23

Spray an AK-47 at it and its gone then since a 47 is 7.62mm.
Old 2004-12-16, 01:42   #6
Ugly Duck

Firstly, its.. a tank. Chances are youll be dead long before you can get close enough to take a clean shot at the periscope/optics. And these are designed so that the lense is actualy sunken back into an armoured little box, so basicaly the ONLY way you can take a shot at the lense of the optics is if the tank is looking direcly at you. As for a refrence as to how small it is. Here...

The periscope/optics would be the 2 boxes infront of the guy in the turret. Now you tell me, what are the cahnces of you running out and spraying full auto at that armoured box, getting a hit, and living to tell about it? The drivers periscope isnt very well seen, but its the little slot next to the bikers head. A sniper could do it from a long ways out, but from close in with an AK.... not gunna happen, unless your very lucky
Old 2004-12-16, 02:26   #7
solodude23

You just said it makes them more vulnerable in close range environments. There wont be many snipers in streets. I didn't know you meant that. The slot for the driver isnt a periscope, and it cannot be penetrated by rounds either unless its a full auto .50. (well depends on which thing your talking about) I thought you meant the thing the teddy bear is sitting on. Or do you?

BTW about the full auto, it could easily be done but I dobt even an AK round can take it out. Wouldn't make sence at all. It would be taken out very easily by spray. That thing is bigger than a head. So I definantly doubt an AK can penetrate it.

And at least in DCR it is very easy to go up to a tank and not get killed. Ive done it many times using C4 to blow a tank. About 9/10 times I make it out alive. If I don't, I respawn. Easy as that.
Old 2004-12-16, 03:20   #8
PunkRockerDave

DCR and real life are two different things. And no, it would be next to impossible to run out and "spray and pray" and hit the "glass" of the periscope. Remember, these are tanks, they are made to take shells from other tanks, they can definately take some bullets from a sniper rifle let alone an AK. Also an AK kicks like a mule so running out and spraying would be insanely difficult to hit anything.
PunkRockerDave is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-16, 03:33   #9
Mind Game

Anyways it would be virtually impossible to hit that thing. First of all you've got that tiny little glass part and you have to account for a moving tank, bullet speed, and bullet fall. Then add some lunatic whos evading all your shots by spinning his turret slightly. As soon as you fire (and probably miss) that tank will get its shot because they would have seen your muzzle flash and then the mg would come out just in case to finish you off. Therefore I think this is a bad idea.
Mind Game is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-16, 03:50   #10
solodude23

BTW what is that little camera thing below the teddy bear?

Tags
hatches, tank