project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2009-02-23, 05:01   #1
Atandon
Default Does anyone play PR on a 7900 series card?

I'm just wondering what setting you play it on-seems that vBF2 allows highest settings without any lag (useless comparison I know), yet with PR I have to play everything on low-even though pre 0.85 everything was set on medium/high.

I have:
7900GS 256MB O'ced
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core2Duo.

Either one of the processors got deactivated, or my card's getting too antiquated.
Old 2009-02-23, 06:21   #2
Undies
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Does anyone play PR on a 7900 series card?

Theres something amiss m8, i played quite happily on a 7900gs with all on max settings using a slower processor than you. Could be something such as not enough power being delivered by the psu, or something as inocuous as spyware hogging all your processor time.

"The cavalry bring a bit of panache and flair to an otherwise dull affair"
Old 2009-02-23, 06:39   #3
SqnLdr

Your lag could be your RAM mate. 7900GS should be more than enough boot. What resolution are we talking?
Old 2009-02-24, 00:47   #4
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

i kept lagging in .8 every time i approach buildings. i had radeon 9500 pro. i haven't played PR since and am moving up to a Geforce 9800gt on my new comp. was it a problem with my vid card before or would it have been something else?
Old 2009-02-27, 15:31   #5
Atandon

Hmm...problem seems to have fixed itself- I can get it to medium with no lag on all of the maps including the 17km^2 ones. I think Vista is preventing me from maxing the game. Can't wait till Windows 7 comes out!

Cheers for your help anyways, guys.
Old 2009-03-02, 03:19   #6
charliegrs

i have a 7950 gt, a 512 meg card. my processor is slightly worse than yours, a 2.1 ghz core2 and 2 gigs ram yet i play PR with everything maxed out and resolution set to whatever the highest it can go in the menu, i forgot what it was. mine plays smooth as silk, never lags, never any problems. however i also use windows XP, maybe your problem is your using vista? i dont know, but i would never go near vista.
Old 2009-03-27, 14:47   #7
Atandon

Yes-Vista is the main culprit here. Unfortunately, due to network connection issues, my uni requires me to have Vista installed so that I can access the internet. For now, the only thing that can be done is to turn off all of the Vista settings to play the game maxed out-but they tend to reset themselves after every restart, and I'm too lazy to turn off the Vista features over and over again.
Old 2009-03-27, 15:46   #8
[R-DEV]​Tim270
PR:BF2 Developer

Just get rid of the eye candy, also another 2GB or RAM would help quite a bit.
Last edited by Robbi; 2009-03-27 at 15:54..
Old 2009-03-27, 15:55   #9
Robbi
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim270 View Post
Just get rid of the eye candy, also another 2GB or RAM would help quite a bit.
His RAM is fine atm tbh mate, and also read his post where he cant get rid of Vista due to Uni rules...

Old 2009-03-28, 16:22   #10
Atandon

I have- I'm currently playing it on medium right now. As for RAM, I've been playing on a laptop for the last 3 years. Unfortunately, Dell doesn't offer RAM upgrades for their laptops, so I am stuck until next year when I buy/build a new PC.

Like I said earlier, the problem was, I couldn't get past low settings-this seems to have fixed itself, however, so I'm happy

Tags
7900, card, play, series