project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Aircraft Tactics
16 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2009-05-29, 03:12   #1
Wags

Default CAS pilots! Don't be afraid to...

Get your hands dirty! What I mean is get down low. Don't be afraid to do this! You'll be way more effective if you do this!

I know this has happened to all CAS pilots:

-BluFor Inf:"Hey air support, can you bomb my lased target?"

Of course in your scenario, you are not given co'ords. Do you need them? NO!

-Pilot:"Where is your lase?"
-Infantry:"Uhh...East of the North bunker."

(Yes, i've chosen Kashan Desert for my scenario)

Still no co'ords. Now I've seen most pilots just say,"I'm not bombing anything until I get co'ords," and I just think that is silly. With the info the groundie has given you, you can make a low pass to determine where the target is. Then come back around to kill what you've spotted. That's all it takes.

NO,"You need co'ords" replies. NO,'You need a lase" comments. It is in my opinion that the best pilots not only can get in the air, bomb accurately, and land. That the best pilots can do so in a choatic, confused enviroment in which info and time can be short.

You will also gain much respect among the ground-pounders. I know this. This is how I run CAS when I jump in the cockpit.
Wags is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 04:09   #2
Rissien
Supporting Member

Default Re: CAS pilots! Don't be afraid to...

Theres a reason we refuse to go into an area. All we see is where the person lasing is from and thats a wiude area to check denoting possibly more than one flyby to get a good angle at the target, then there is aa. Often ppl just lase with no regard for enemy aa in the area. As foar as jets and the attack helis go, they are alot more fragile than trans hueys which can soak in a few aa missles if they hit the right spot. All it would take is one lucky shot and the vehicle is gone.

MA3-USN Former

クラナド ァフターストーリー
Rissien is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 04:31   #3
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by =]H[=ElvishKnight View Post
Theres a reason we refuse to go into an area. All we see is where the person lasing is from and thats a wiude area to check denoting possibly more than one flyby to get a good angle at the target, then there is aa. Often ppl just lase with no regard for enemy aa in the area. As foar as jets and the attack helis go, they are alot more fragile than trans hueys which can soak in a few aa missles if they hit the right spot. All it would take is one lucky shot and the vehicle is gone.
Well common sense would dictate not to go into an area covered by AA. But if there is nothing there specifically designed to kill you (AA, MiG, F-16, etc.) go ahead and dive on in.

This is separate from attacking a lased target. This is attacking a target in general. You don't need a lase. All a lase does is guide your laser guided weapons. What about your main weapon? The gun on your CAS aircraft is your main weapon and it is not guided by a laser. If get low enough, you'll do far more damage than you can imagine.

btw, I must say, you shouldn't compare an A-10 with a Huey. That's like comparing a sports car and an armoured truck and asking which one can fly 100 miles in the shortest amount of time.
Old 2009-05-29, 05:40   #4
Rissien
Supporting Member

Still, ppl call in attacks and then complain that the air support misses because we cant just fly in and automatically know where the target is. The pilot does have a birds eye veiw but the target could be hidden or on the other side of a building the pilot cant see at his angle. Plus theres the speed, half the time when we finally do find the target we have to go around and come back. Theres a reason pilots dont just blindly go in, call out your targets so we can make the best use of ammo. The bombers sure they have a main gun but even with that its only good on precise targets, hyrads are often better but the pilot doesnt know where the target is and time is wasted. You need to think from a pilots perspective.

I comared the jets and attck helis *all of them not just the A-10* to a huey for a reason. Unlike the Huey if there is aa in the area they are so much more at risk plus the additional ticket cost and 20 minute spawn time. Jets only pop out one flare at a time and in the hands of a goof aa they wont do any good. One hit and the jets are down, wheres the huey can take a few hits and carry on. CAS pilots are not going to be as willing to go into aa zones as a huey would be. I have only seen one instance of a jet surviving a missle and surviving. QUAKE was in the A-10 and somehow managed to land the thin in the middle of the desert, brought a log truck and repaired it then got back in the air and returned to base.

MA3-USN Former

クラナド ァフターストーリー
Old 2009-05-29, 05:44   #5
cyberzomby

Thats just the gung-ho mentality that gets choppers killed. As a pilot I would like to know what target is out there and on what cords.

In the IGI mumble night a squad-member was requesting a CAS run instead of the SL trough all-chat. Now this was a cas-run against infantry but what if someone requests a CAS run on 2 of those jeeps armed with .50's? They will make mince meat out of your chopper when you come in.
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 06:17   #6
Wags

Quote:
Still, ppl call in attacks and then complain that the air support misses because we cant just fly in and automatically know where the target is. The pilot does have a birds eye veiw but the target could be hidden or on the other side of a building the pilot cant see at his angle. Plus theres the speed, half the time when we finally do find the target we have to go around and come back. Theres a reason pilots dont just blindly go in, call out your targets so we can make the best use of ammo. The bombers sure they have a main gun but even with that its only good on precise targets, hyrads are often better but the pilot doesnt know where the target is and time is wasted. You need to think from a pilots perspective.

I comared the jets and attck helis *all of them not just the A-10* to a huey for a reason. Unlike the Huey if there is aa in the area they are so much more at risk plus the additional ticket cost and 20 minute spawn time. Jets only pop out one flare at a time and in the hands of a goof aa they wont do any good. One hit and the jets are down, wheres the huey can take a few hits and carry on. CAS pilots are not going to be as willing to go into aa zones as a huey would be. I have only seen one instance of a jet surviving a missle and surviving. QUAKE was in the A-10 and somehow managed to land the thin in the middle of the desert, brought a log truck and repaired it then got back in the air and returned to base.
I am thinking from a pilots perspective. I am the pilot, and this is how I fly. I'm not saying I'm going in Sierra Hotel and pulling up at the last second, but I'm getting low enough so I don't need a lase or specific grid co'ords. This saves time. All I need to know is: where my groundies are, where my enemy is, and what angle im coming in on the enemy from. I've used this tactic many times in various servers and have not been shot down once. I've never had to punch-out, I've never crashed, but I have killed alot of enemy.

As for your flare thing. Guess what is found at lower altitude? Land and land features. Use the terrian for cover. A good example would be the ridgelines in Kashan. Those ridgelines have saved me from alot of AA and other fire. (Once I managed to get a pursuing MiG to crash into the ridge, it was great!)

It's how we do it in real-life and it's perfectly applicatable (spelling?) to Project Reality.

About the Huey thing; what I was getting at was that your comparing a rotary-wing transport aircraft to a fixed-wing ground attack aircraft. Those two are not comparable in my book.

Using this low flying tactic, not being afraid to get down low, I'm able to take out a target in a fairly short amount of time and my target will always be in view. It works, you just need to try it. Not many people do, which is why I made this thread, to maybe inform some fellow pilots on an effective tactic.
Old 2009-05-29, 06:29   #7
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

The more precise your target area, the more likely it is to get killed, and the less likely the chopper will die.

Quote:
IGI
and btw chaps, its .:iGi:. our senior members get very irate when people say IGI

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 06:32   #8
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
The more precise your target area, the more likely it is to get killed, and the less likely the chopper will die.

and btw chaps, its .:iGi:. our senior members get very irate when people say IGI
I'm fairly certain I've made it clear that I'm talking about the A-10, even without actually saying,"I'm talking about the A-10, not choppers."
Old 2009-05-29, 06:32   #9
Rissien
Supporting Member

As far as low flying you should go speak to someone else everyone I play with knows I fly low, I can be a little too bold at times, take Quinling for example, Regardless of aircraft im seen flying even under treetop line when it comes to avoiding aa. There is just simply those times where avoiding it is not possible.

Again the comparison of hueys is with ALL CAS. Jets are not the only for of CAS, there are the attack choppers as well as the attack Huey *which ive made some great aa evasion with on Barracuda mind you*

MA3-USN Former

クラナド ァフターストーリー
Old 2009-05-29, 06:35   #10
Wags

Quote:
As far as low flying you should go speak to someone else everyone I play with knows I fly low, I can be a little too bold at times, take Quinling for example, Regardless of aircraft im seen flying even under treetop line when it comes to avoiding aa. There is just simply those times where avoiding it is not possible.

Again the comparison of hueys is with ALL CAS. Jets are not the only for of CAS, there are the attack choppers as well as the attack Huey *which ive made some great aa evasion with on Barracuda mind you*
But I am talking about Jets. I've made that fairly certain.

Tags
afraid, cas, pilots