project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2009-06-21, 06:58   #1
Kenny

Unhappy I needs some help with my PC

Firstly I would like to ask about a computer problem.
When I was playing CS:S it froze (I had changed nothing recently) and it started to sound loop then the screen flikered and when it came up agaion it had lot of blue spots(blue artifacts ) on it (I tried Controle Alt Delete nothing apart form the system beeping sound so I re-set and on the start up everything was a mess verticle coloemns of writing all blured together. Then when I got to desktop it wouldent allow for any imput no clicking and no typing nothing.
Now when it is turned on it has heaps of artifacting, this include bios and post. Once it gets to desktop it still has some artifacting (mostly around the mouse) but I can't do anything except move the mouse.

So I would think it safe to assume that the video card is gone. I opened the case up before and the ammount of dust was ridiculous, seriously like a few mm of dust on everything. On top of this there was a dead hunstman spider (wtf) in there, yes a spider! I cleaned it all out but the probem remains so presumably the video card is stuffed.
But if you guys know whats wrong plz tell us.
This is the rig:

Athlon64 3200+
GA-K8VM800M
6800GT (AGP)
Crappy optical drive that has been playin up for a while (reads but wont write)
120GB HDD with XP loaded (I think Seagate but cant remember)
500GB HDD WD used as storage
Really crap case (some generic peice of crap no doubt, with a side window cut into it poorly)
Cooler Maser 650W eXtreme power
19" CRT Viewsonic monitor
Some wireless keyboard (does the job)
Logitech G7
Altec Lansing 2.1 (Not great but does the job)
I think 2 x 512MB RAM

Now I want to ask the question is it worth getting a a replacment card or should I try and update and rebulid with new and existing parts or should I build form scrach and buy everything new. - Keep in mind that my buget isn't very big around 1,100 max no more than that realy.

Any help would be apricated and If I don't respond straight away it's because this laptop is the only thing with internet now so it has to be shared.
Thanks -Kenny
Old 2009-06-21, 11:29   #2
MonkeySoldier
Default Re: I needs some help with my PC

What are the temps of your graphics card? It could be overheating, but as you stated, it could also be artifacts. Although it wouldn't hurt checking the temps while playing a game.
Old 2009-06-22, 06:20   #3
Kenny

Yer thats the problem now I can't seem to do anything at all when I turn it on it won't allow for any input of any sort even the trust Ctrl Alt Delete has no effect all I get is the system error sound so theirs no way to test anything out
Old 2009-06-22, 13:09   #4
Tofurkeymeister

Download HWmonitor, and play a game windowed so you can see both. HWmonitor should tell you the GPU temp (among other things), so you can see the effect of games on heat production. If the GPU goes above 100C... it is overheating (If it is overheating, see if it is possible to turn the fan speed up using rivatuner).