project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives > African Resistance Fighters
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
African Resistance Fighters Discussion pertaining to the African Resistance Fighters (ARF) faction.

Old 2009-11-23, 01:06   #1
Bob_Marley
Retired PR Developer

Default [Question] Why the M1911A1?

This, to me at least, seems a very curios choice of sidearm for an African faction. As a rule American small arms are rarely used on the dark continent (at least to my knowlege). While I generally look more at Southern African militaries than perhaps this faction is aiming at, it still seems an odd choice.

More likley weapons (at least in my opinion, as I say, I can't say I'm particularly learned on the West African militaries) would perhaps be the venerable Browning Hi-Power, Mle. 1950 or perhaps the Star Model B (Modified M1911 in 9mm, used to be issue with SANDF).

The key to modernising any weapon is covering them in glue and tossing them in a barrel of M1913 rails until they look "Modern" enough.

Many thanks to [R-DEV]Adriaan for the sig!
Old 2009-11-23, 02:34   #2
ma21212
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Question] Why the M1911A1?

your right. they should at least get a Makrov or something (same thing with Ins. and Chech.)

Old 2009-11-23, 13:33   #3
Bellator

Just give them the MEC pistol which the Russians, Taliban and Chechens also have, at least as a placeholder. The pistol should be a very, very low priority item.
Old 2009-11-23, 14:02   #4
WilsonPL

Instead of VBF Mec pistol i prefer M1911 from EOD... or USI browning :>

** Makarov PM for Insurgent Strike - Xfire Video
Last edited by WilsonPL; 2009-11-23 at 14:08..
Old 2009-11-23, 14:34   #5
rampo

How about the FN Browning High-power? i presume it looks quite identical whit the L9 whit the british so that couldn't be too much work
Old 2009-11-24, 02:03   #6
anglomanii

maybe its time to bring in a revolver, after all only a few are going to have one.
Old 2009-11-24, 09:09   #7
162eRI

Why, simply because this kind of weapon is used in Africa. Many of the old colonial powers bring with them, during the colonial wars, the Colt 1911 or very similar weapons.
Secondly, you are speaking about FN Browning High-power or Star Model B, those two models if I'm not mistaken are ""similar"" or modified versions of the Colt... Ok, not similar, but what I mean is, do we really need a new model for a small weapon used only by the Officier and Sniper kit?

Also, I must agree that the FN Browning could be a really good choice. Indeed, if we trust Wikipedia it's commonly used in Africa and many, many other countries! But let's keep with the Colt 1911 for now, except if someone have the skills to model it!?

Guess which pistol he is wearing!?
http://uppix.net/a/a/1/5d37800c0621a...e1db8636f4.jpg
Old 2009-11-24, 12:54   #8
Herbiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]162eRI View Post
Dunno but he needs to shape his beret pretty badly. Looks like an idiot.

I would like o see a revolver in Game but I don't think it's anything that community modders should be spending time on except as a side project (To a side project).
Old 2009-11-24, 16:35   #9
Bob_Marley
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]162eRI View Post
Also, I must agree that the FN Browning could be a really good choice. Indeed, if we trust Wikipedia it's commonly used in Africa and many, many other countries! But let's keep with the Colt 1911 for now, except if someone have the skills to model it!?
PR alread has an FN-Browning Hi-Power model, the L9A1 for the Brits is one (A Mk.III in the ingame case, which is a more modern variant, but a Hi Power none the less) its simply a case of using the same weapon

The key to modernising any weapon is covering them in glue and tossing them in a barrel of M1913 rails until they look "Modern" enough.

Many thanks to [R-DEV]Adriaan for the sig!
Old 2009-11-24, 17:02   #10
Hauteclocque
Retired PR Developer

Bob : 1/162 : 0
Don't be bad with 162, he doesn't know very well PR, why have we hired him at French Forces ? I'm kidding...
As Bob said, the Hi-Power is already in game. But adding the Colt could be interesting. The model is already done (I think it's done, exec didn't speak too much about this gun).

Tags
question