project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2009-12-30, 17:29   #1
Arquin
Unhappy [Q] The best way to get to snipe?

Hello. I do wonder why i haven't created a forum account yet, even tho i have been playing for some time now.

Anyway, i'd like to know how could i get to snipe or use marksman kit when nobody wants one in their team. I did try to create a sniper squad once, but it is not really fun when your friend snipes and you just spot for him, and swapping kits is not possible.

What should i do to get to even TRY out long range shooting. I'm tired of close combat infantry.

PS. I have trained to use it.
Arquin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 17:59   #2
Oskar
Default Re: [Q] The best way to get to snipe?

If no one wants a sniper in your team, it might just be because a sniper isnt needed.
On a lot of maps I find the sniper teams to be unnecessary or even ineffective. The view distance might be too short, there might be too many trees, etc.
To me, a sniper squad works best when there is a CO. The sniper/recon squad can relay intel on enemy positions, firebases and armor to the CO, which will increase the team's situational awareness greatly.
This, in my opinion, is what you should focus on when sniping. Kill whatever you can kill without being seen or heard, and report all enemy movement.

On a lot of servers, if you would create a sniper squad together with a spotter at the start of the game, and only if snipers are called for on that particular map, will you "get to snipe".

With this game, I find that seeing the big picture is one of the most important things.
Do what's best for the team, not necessarily what might be fun atm, and I'm sure you will be rewarded somehow.

But that's just my view of things. I'd very much like to hear what others have to say in this topic.
Oskar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 18:03   #3
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)

Join an infantry squad, grab a SAW and shoot anyone you see, regardless of distance. :P
L4gi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 18:55   #4
Arquin

Well, i guess so then. Commander is not usually seen on normal games. Maybe i should try joining a clan. Thanks anyway.
Arquin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 13:31   #5
Oskar

Well, the sniper might or might not be effective without a commander. If you report enemy locations on teamchat or even better, Mumble, TS or Vent, you will be a very valuable asset to the team. But you have to do this very efficiently in order to be an asset IMO.
Oskar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 13:42   #6
General_J0k3r

a sniper is ONLY effective on kashan and when comms are good. other than that i don't really know where a sniper would excel in performance compared to any other kit.

correct me if i'm wrong
General_J0k3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 22:08   #7
Stealth Clobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_J0k3r View Post
a sniper is ONLY effective on kashan and when comms are good. other than that i don't really know where a sniper would excel in performance compared to any other kit.

correct me if i'm wrong
Muttrah City in the A7 spot? Racked up 12 kills with no deaths sniping there once.
Stealth Clobber is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 22:53   #8
TomDackery

Operation Archer, theres hundreds of sniping positions.
TomDackery is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 23:11   #9
killonsight95
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDackery View Post
Operation Archer, theres hundreds of sniping positions.
make sure you have a medic and officer with you

killonsight95 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 08:42   #10
Astromici

Check out my guide, especially the addendum on marksmans and spotters.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f13...er-rifles.html
Astromici is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
snipe, sniper kit, sniping