project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
03 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2010-02-09, 10:33   #1
Spearhead
Retired PR Developer

Exclamation Official PR Manual - A call for translators

The Project Reality manual is a great document for new players new to our games or old timers coming back. To make it easier for them we try to make it accessible in as many languages as possible and for this we need your help!

To make PR more accessible to those who are having a harder time with the English language we need translate the manual into more languages. If your spoken/written English is on a good level and you want to translate the manual into your native tongue, then go ahead and contact read further!

We build up our manual through GitBook. A easy to distribute and edit platform. It uses the Markdown syntax, a very easy to learn system to do formatting.

We store our manual on our GitHub. This makes it easier for community members to make their own translated versions and easier to update with each PR version.

STARTING A NEW TRANSLATION:

Beginner's knowledge of Git is helpful, but we'll try to give all necessary information here to get you started. At any stage feel free to ask questions in this thread or PM [R-DEV]Mineral.

In order for you to work on your version of the manual, you will need to create your own copy, a Git Fork. Simply go to our GitHub page and click Fork button in the top right corner.

This will now create a copy fork of our Manual on your GitHub profile for you to work on. You can also then invite other users to help you by inviting them to the fork repo.

While you can edit the files through the GitHub website directly, we recommend to do it in your favorite file editor (just make sure it ends up in UTF-8 format!, notepad++ is also recommended) that has some markdown support. This means you will need to get the GIT first on your pc. For this you will need to download and install Git and install your repo. Familiarize yourself with how GIT works!

Best method
Once you have your fork installed on your computer, we suggest you copy the 'en' folder and change the name to the 2 letter language code that you are translating into. Then you open this new folder and in each subfolder you will find README.md files. These are the chapters and therefore the files that will need translating.

You will also find the SUMMARY.md which is the page table. This one will also require translation of the titles. Note that there are many links (ex. {#subchapter-name}) in the files. These are used to link to chapters within the document. It's recommended not to change these names so all the links continue to work. Also don't translate and actual folder names. Also don't change any image names.

Please in the meantime let us know you are working on a translation so we can take a look and potentially help out.

Completion
Once you think your translation is completed let us know and request a pull request from your fork, this will merge your edits into our repo and makes your translation come live on the official manual page!

COMPLETED TRANSLATIONS:
  • German: By Rotblut (Updated for v1.5)
  • Brazilian-Portuguese: v1.5 translation by Mordekay, v1.6.4 translation update by OBAMA: Fukai, Gabo e Concani
  • Indonesian: PRID-TEAM (Updated for v1.7)
  • Spanish: isaias43 (Updated for v1.7)
  • Italian: Mdx00 (Updated for v1.7)

HELP WITH IN PROGRESS TRANSLATIONS:
If you want to help with a translation make sure to contact those already started on a translation to get access to their Git fork. Or contact us and we'll help out.
You can see all current forks here.

OLD TRANSLATIONS:
Here is a list of translations of old manuals. They will all have a folder prepared on the Git to be started from. They need to updated to the new Markdown format as well be checked for changes between v1.3.1 and the current version. If you are willing to help you can do that by creating a Git Fork and editing within the language's folder. If you need any help contact [R-DEV]Mineral or post in this thread.
  • French - Grey_Echo - v1.3.1 - READ HERE
  • Spanish - BlackGus,Pirutoko & Others - v1.3.1 - READ HERE
  • Italian - =ITW= and [EI] clans (contact BSR_Pheelz) - v1.3.1 - READ HERE
  • Brazilian-Portuguese - SANGUE-RUIM - v1.3.1 READ HERE
  • Hebrew - khtk1 - v1.3.1 READ HERE
  • Chinese - Saga community (contact KingFish-v-) - v1.3.1 READ HERE
  • Bulgarian - =BG=BladeNakamura - v1.3.1 READ HERE
  • Finnish - K-Massive and Kovanaama - v1.3.1 - READ HERE
  • Hungarian - IAmNotMatthew - v1.3.1 - READ HERE

Last edited by Mineral; 2024-01-04 at 15:51..
Old 2010-02-09, 13:22   #2
boilerrat
Default re: Official PR Manual - A call for translators

Polish needs to be translated also.
boilerrat is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 23:47   #3
Peeta
Supporting Member

Ask L4gi about Finnish

Panem Today,
Panem Tomorrow,
Panem Forever.
Peeta is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 11:02   #4
rampo

I sure would love to help you translate finnish. if you'd need it taht is
rampo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 12:01   #5
alberto_di_gio

I can also be a volunteer for Turkish. Just let me know!
alberto_di_gio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 13:01   #6
daniellegraham
Supporting Member

i can do it for Chinese version. I have already translated the PR 0.9 CHANGELOG into Chinese in my community.
It is called =SAGA=.

Always be a medic, never get a special kit, save your ass in no time
daniellegraham is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 13:56   #7
Spearhead
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberto_di_gio View Post
I can also be a volunteer for Turkish. Just let me know!
If you want to help out I suggest you contact the person assigned to the language and ask him if he wants to team up for the task. It's easier to manage this if I have one person responsible for each language. Of course they may cooperate in any way they see fit.

Spearhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 18:41   #8
Gore
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

You can also lie down and look up to heal yourself, the wrench can also repair light vehicles such as cars and trucks. These things need to be updated into the manual. I've also added some extra in the grappling hook part.

Last edited by Gore; 2010-02-10 at 18:52..
Old 2010-02-10, 19:13   #9
Spearhead
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreZiad View Post
You can also lie down and look up to heal yourself, the wrench can also repair light vehicles such as cars and trucks. These things need to be updated into the manual. I've also added some extra in the grappling hook part.
No problem in adding that. The manual is never perfect and slight improvements are welcome as long as you say what you change or add.

Spearhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 19:17   #10
goguapsy

I can do Portuguese, however, I need help... The manual is made in PDF right? I don't have it... at least I don't know how to use it... maybe someone can guide me to a program I can use to translate it? I'll happily do it.
Last edited by goguapsy; 2010-02-10 at 19:47..

Tags
call, manual, official, translation, translators