project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-06-06, 19:12   #1
Cassius
Supporting Member

Default Cooperation between armor and Ground troops in reclusive enviroments

On PR you can witness some of the worst use of armor in reclusive enviroments, such as cities and forests. I cooked up a little guide that focuses on the Cooperation between ground troops and armor in difficult terrains.

To coordinate well with your team, get mumble, which is totally awesome. If you can not use mumble because of tech issues or because you are simply an antimublist, make extensive use of the squadleder Radio to mark threats to the armor and targets.

A guide for AAS maps

The armor should stick with infantry units at all time. If the armor is out on its own the enemy either avoids the armor, or is suppressed, however a suppressed enemy with no ground troops around to take advantage does the team no good. Then there is the increased threat of handhelt AT weapons.

RIGHT
WRONG

If Infantery is moving with a tank or APC they should stick with it as much as possible. Do not run off with your squad cutting through the forest, unless it is to take out a nearby fob or the actual objective is there. Do not take the route that offers the best cover, but take a route on which the tank can follow you. If there is trouble there is always the tank to keep the heads of the enemies down.
Likewise the armor should stay behind friendlies, Use the full speed of the armor to redeploy, but when supporting an Infantery squad dont rush ahead to find out if thats a TOW in the distance. Let the Infantery take out AT gunners so you can operate safely.

RIGHT WRONG

As a squadleader your first priority before calling in support is to look for threats to your armor. Have the tank pull up to a safe area, target enemy AT Call in the Tank to blow up the now unmanned enemy AT and have it cover your Advance Afterwards. Same if you attack a flag, scout out the area and mark as many targets as possible before haveint the tank roll in.

If you are holding an objective dont have the armor sitting on the objective with you. The enemy could take it out with AT weapons before you even know they arrived. Have the tank wait in a safe area and call it in as needed.

RIGHTWRONG

When fighting an unconventional war you need to consider that because there are no frontlines, threats to Armor are much more unpredictable. While Infantry is generally engaged by enemy infantery on AAS maps, even if the squad carries AT weapons, Insurgents might have dedicated AT teams, which might not give themselves away by opening fire on accompanying infantry, but target the armor right away.
Armor should wait in a safe area with open ground it can overwatch easily, assit infantery as it is called in and retreat back to a safe area after the squad medicated its wounded. Do not stick around, because the enemy will plot on how to take down an armored piece if it is in a vulnerable position.

RIGHT WRONG

When entering a reclusive area on an isurgency map, avoid entering it at areas which are nearby enemy strongholds, because it is likely they are camping entries and exits nearby to their weapons caches.

RIGHT
WRONG

EDIT: Basically if you run armor ask an infantery squad to cooperate with you, lead the way and clear the sides of the roads, if you run an infantery squad, see if some armor is willing to trail you.
Last edited by Cassius; 2010-06-13 at 02:36..
Old 2010-06-06, 22:41   #2
TomDackery
Default Re: Cooperation between armor and Ground troops in reclusive enviroments

Thumbs up. I hate when tanks charge in and get blown up when supporting infantry, because... well. You can't support the infantry when your armor is in a smoldering heap. Only thing good about you then is cover.
TomDackery is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 02:16   #3
Cassius
Supporting Member

Default Re: Cooperation between armor and Ground troops in reclusive enviroments

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDackery View Post
Thumbs up. I hate when tanks charge in and get blown up when supporting infantry, because... well. You can't support the infantry when your armor is in a smoldering heap. Only thing good about you then is cover.
Its more like you cant support infantery if the tank is 4 Grids away from the closes friendly unit because it can go so fast. VROOOM ! But yes if you get blown up you cant do that either so we both win.
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 10:58   #4
Orford

Awsome guide.

I was comander on our server with a very good tank crew last night we attacked each cache while I sent a scout squad to check out the next cache. Having the tank and strykers hold back supressing roof tops etc. After a hour or so of this and 5 caches down the tank crew asked if they could go into the city I said no stay back. Next thing I see is the tank rolling in to the city 2 mins of asking him to pull out as I have no intel on the area BOOOOM he got ambushed by rpg and bomb car.

This need to be a sticky guide.
Orford is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 13:38   #5
Cassius
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NwA*Orford View Post
Awsome guide.

Next thing I see is the tank rolling in to the city 2 mins of asking him to pull out as I have no intel on the area BOOOOM he got ambushed by rpg and bomb car.

This need to be a sticky guide.
And the driver left the server
Old 2010-06-07, 19:51   #6
Orford

LOL, how did you know was you on the server also.
Old 2010-06-07, 20:08   #7
Jman234

You know it's gonna be real hard to actually organize some infantry to work along with you.
Jman234 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 20:19   #8
Orford

Comander and Mumble ftw.

I found with our server that comanders are few and far between. The times I have been a comander the SL`s are very keen to follow orders and be given ideas and intel for there squad/team when attacking caches or in AAS mode. Also the armour squads are more than happy to help there team mates achive there goal for that round thats why they play PR. I think you need to give PR players a bit more credit.

I remeember a time when 2 squads stacked up behind a Tank and got walked into the village in A/B 3 on Kabala then poped smoke as we grapple hooked over the wall for a 2 squad attack on a cache that before the tank arrived we had no chance of getting close to.
Old 2010-06-07, 20:40   #9
Wakain

excellent thread on armored support, though it's very hard to organize ingame as armor players often tend to rush forward or camp on a hill far away on their own. This kind of tactics should drastically increase the lifespan of a regular 6 man infantry squad and the armor guys
Wakain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 01:38   #10
Cassius
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman234 View Post
You know it's gonna be real hard to actually organize some infantry to work along with you.
get mumble and become a regular on a server. If you pick random people they wont be a brilliant football team either. If you want a game that works with random people and a minimum of coordination there are plenty of games like that which get it done better than PR.

Tags
armor, cooperation, enviroments, ground, reclusive, troops