project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Suggestions Archives
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2006-07-26, 02:54   #1
APoutwest
Default Up sniper riffle accuracy in .4

I think the sniper riffle accuracy needs to be significantly improved in .4 as it is in .3 rifles are rubish. And exactly what about this is realistic? Snipers in real life are redicoulously good and unfortuneately the only way to mimic this in bf2 is to make the sr more deadly.

PS.On a somewhat unrelated note i've herd that the heavy sniper rifle in 2142 is going to have anti material abilities (blowing up mines) so mebe one of the new kits could be an ati material sniper. I assume this is possible because 2142 and bf2 seem to be the same engine.
Old 2006-07-26, 04:25   #2
MrD
Supporting Member

better up the accuracy of the L85A2 british assault rifles then. as a near marksman and an excellent combat range shot I could stop, aim my rifle and take down a full sized target at 100m with a single pull the trigger, hitting the target, from initially spotting it I was my companies first choice for doing IBSR shoots (it's got a different name nowadays I understand) On the ranges I was accurate to 96/100 at 400, 8/10 upto 600m on half sized targets and further back to 6/10. then there was the silly time when on a shoot'n'run at 100m i scored 12/10 on takedown targets (well, i had some extra rounds left over from a previous shoot )

on the distances this map covers, i'd be taking down you sniper bunnies faster than you could reload your bolt action toys. 28 rounds in my rifle, that's 28 potential targets within 30-60 seconds.

if they sort it so the uber eite sniper wannabees get their rifle to be the most destructive weapon on the battlefield then you are going to be shocked by the realism of what a marksman can do with an assault rifle. Other games may give instant hits, but realism dictates a round takes time to reach a target. under combat conditions if someone is zig zagging it becomes very difficult to hit them. you are panicking you are going to get hit, trying to breathe properly whilst smoothly squeezing off rounds, then crawling back, to the side, then forwards again to make another shot or two, then back and to the side again, never being predictable. and that was just playing with SAWES

[R-MOD]Mongolian Dude:
AH man, sarcasm is so hard to get across the web, even if we are both british
[R-DEV]Jaymz: That has to be...the most epic response to a welcome thread I have ever seen. [R-CON]Mr.D ladies and gentlemen!
Old 2006-07-26, 04:34   #3
Dylan

12/10. Thats a bit exaggerated aint it?

Well, sniper rifles are only as good as the shooter. I noticed (maybe its just my ping) that it takes about 2-3 seconds for me to hit a target at about 350 or so meters. Thus, sniping with bullet drop aswell affects the outcome signifigantly. Stationary immobile targets are very very easy targets. Identify them while they just spawn, as most do not move immediatly, then fire.

I am open to sniper rifles staying the same, or just being more accurate. As long as those two factors stay in, I am fine.
Old 2006-07-26, 06:00   #4
SilvuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan
I noticed (maybe its just my ping) that it takes about 2-3 seconds for me to hit a target at about 350 or so meters.
2-3 seconds for 350 meters? I think THAT is a bit exadgerated. I have lost count of how many times I have settled for 4+ seconds on 150m or less targets and completely and utterly missed by several FEET. Hitting a standing target at 350 meters and only allowing for 2-3 seconds of settle sounds like you got very lucky. I spend about 80% of my PR time sniping and my furthest kill was at 348m on Jabal and that was with about 8 seconds of settle time. (The guy was either AFK or Retarded, im going with the latter)
Old 2006-07-26, 08:02   #5
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvuR
2-3 seconds for 350 meters? I think THAT is a bit exadgerated. I have lost count of how many times I have settled for 4+ seconds on 150m or less targets and completely and utterly missed by several FEET. Hitting a standing target at 350 meters and only allowing for 2-3 seconds of settle sounds like you got very lucky. I spend about 80% of my PR time sniping and my furthest kill was at 348m on Jabal and that was with about 8 seconds of settle time. (The guy was either AFK or Retarded, im going with the latter)
No, not exagerated at all. I get an average 150 ping, and it does take my 1-2 seconds to hit at 350 meters. Not settle time, but the time it takes the bullet to reach the target. Oh and if you think im "lucky", I guess I got lucky 6 times in a row. 6 perfectly executed shots before I got killed. (knifed actually).
Old 2006-07-26, 09:42   #6
Malik
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan
Stationary immobile targets are very very easy targets. Identify them while they just spawn, as most do not move immediatly, then fire.
Don't we call that spawn rape?

Anyway, the whole sniper issue seems to be down to luck/patience. I normally have a wonderful time when I'm sniping, but there are people on here who swear they can't hit a thing, even if they stay aimed at their target for a half hour. I think snipers should have an increased optimum accuracy so that if you wait for a while, eventually when the rifle reaches its peak accuracy you CAN hit people from any distance. The DMRs need the accuracy of the SAWs really, they shouldn't be overly lethal, but the bolt action rifles need an advantage.
Old 2006-07-26, 10:14   #7
Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by APoutwest
I think the sniper riffle accuracy needs to be significantly improved in .4 as it is in .3 rifles are rubish. And exactly what about this is realistic? Snipers in real life are redicoulously good and unfortuneately the only way to mimic this in bf2 is to make the sr more deadly.

PS.On a somewhat unrelated note i've herd that the heavy sniper rifle in 2142 is going to have anti material abilities (blowing up mines) so mebe one of the new kits could be an ati material sniper. I assume this is possible because 2142 and bf2 seem to be the same engine.
or you could make the simular to the real life counterparts so it take pratice, patience and SKILL to hit people

why would snipers be used to blow up mines combat engineers are trained and have the equpiment to do that kind of thing.
Old 2006-07-26, 10:47   #8
RangerRuss

Well maby you could, Introduce breathing, while making the gun more acurate you could introduce a key set to hold your breath, so you can steady and shoot, but limiting the amount of times you can press and hold this button in a given period of time, it would be like the stamina bar,it could even be linked directly to it, and with magnification the use of this "breath button" will need to be used more, So you could not run and dive to a location and zoom shoot in a space of about two seconds and start spawn camping, but it would still be possible to do this if you were in position long enough. What do you think?
Old 2006-07-26, 11:16   #9
Malik
Banned

I noticed today how ridiculously innaccurate the DMRs are. The SPR seems pretty much perfect, but the Dragunov and Type 98 are ridiculous. What's the point in having the sniper rifle if it's deviation and settle time are actually worse than an assault rifle? From 50m away, marksman vs rifleman should result in the marksman winning. I think their stats need adjusting so they're at least level with the assault rifles, they should be outperforming all the assault rifles without having to wait hours for the rifle to magically prepare itself.
Old 2006-07-26, 11:22   #10
RangerRuss

i agree acuracy need improving but i think needs to be offset with the ability to hold breath while aiming long distances? This will give you the accuracy you and i and others want, but you will need to be skilled with it, otherwise it could turn out to be counterproductive.
Last edited by RangerRuss; 2006-07-26 at 11:29..

Tags
accuracy, riffle, sniper