project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2010-07-15, 04:44   #1
Redamare
Supporting Member

Default More realism with sounds / ambients

For the past .... 4-5 weeks i have been living down in maryland at a summer camp... every day i have to walk about a quarter mile to breakfast, lunch and dinner while walking, to help me coupe with the distance my mind sort of wonders and i just take in the small things that i see and hear around me ...

Thats why i am going to suggest this idea of adding more ambient sounds....

While walking there is never a point at which i dont hear anything at all except my foot steps there is always a Bird chirp or squack.. crickets.. gentle wind through trees.

So my first suggestion is to ADD More gentle / medium wind sounds through trees ( not the open field wind sound of just the wind but of swaying trees. )

add cricket churps when around wooded areas. in certian spots up in trees ( not ground level) yes i know the game already has amient sound effects but somthing about them just doesnt sound how it should sound... full 360 ambients in different locations coming from high and low are whats needed.

I know before there was a thread of some one taking recordings of streams and birds... i think more of that sort of recording is in need to make the game fully emersive .. for
bf2/PR and Future development of PR2

also if possible add rock crunching sounds for when you walk over rocky ground mesh...

It is very difficult to explain what i am trying to get across with out any of you actualy taking the walks and taking knowdess of natural things that you hear ... SOO

If you are a sound dev and you are intrested in this a bit... Go for a walk in a park ^_^ or the woods for a bit and you will hear what i am trying to get across ahaha .....

( BTW i dont get on the computer a whole lot so dont leave me any messages telling me anything because chances are the post will be dead and over with before i read them. Fixes/issues/messages/etc...)
Redamare is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 04:49   #2
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: More realism with sounds / ambients

Quote:
also if possible add rock crunching sounds for when you walk over rocky ground mesh...
well that stuff is decided by teh ground texture or road texture materials, and afaik its already utilised ingame, sand is sand, rock is rock, gravel is gravel etc etc.

I think part of the problem when it comes to birds etc, is that when lots of men sprint through a wood firing weapons the birds stop singing...and I'm not sure how to do that in the editor, so yea...adding birds isn't hard, but I don't know how to make them stop. Its not like the birds are gonna serenade while explosions are happening :P

alot of the sounds are 5 years old now, that might be part of the problem now.

Though I do suspect to a degree that this is an overlooked section of mapping my many for various reasons, I avoid it a bit for the above reason and also because some of the settings are kinda scary sounding.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 05:13   #3
Trooper909

Your point is pretty simple to understand you just want more realstic sound fx that we all hear in everyday life unless your a hermit or something .

Silent eagle has nice ambient fx and KV has that jet sound that randomly goes by.
Im sure some mountain tops have a stone rolling across stones efect sometimes but yeah agree sometimes maps feel a little lifeless sound wise (not counting guns).

I only see a problem with forest maps like barakuda and fools road and that other map whos name I forget thay sound oddly dead.Ghost train on the otherhand had ok sound fx with the thunder and stuff.

I Would guess sounds would carry alot further in open desert than a forest too,No clue as to wether that could be done or not tho.

As rudd said tho its pointless adding birds unless you could get them to stop but on the other hand would you notice them in a firefight? so maybe wouldnt matter.Would be cool to hear birds singing when all goes calm after a big battle but its a mappers choice and thay are busy with other things other than sounds.
Trooper909 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 16:09   #4
Drunkenup

I think theres alot of effects, more than just sounds that need to be revamped. Like explosions, etc. Low priority, wouldn't mind waiting until after 1.0 when things this unimportant can be done.
Drunkenup is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 17:50   #5
myles

Yes just like how arma 2 does it they do really good sounds on the nature of what is around you
myles is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 18:52   #6
Operator009

Can we add in the croak of a Predator in the jungle maps?

Predaor: 'RoAr'!

SL: "WTF?!"
Operator009 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 19:02   #7
TomDackery

Thats called Single-Channel Mumble, Operator, with some tweaking and sound playback.
TomDackery is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 19:32   #8
Redamare
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper909 View Post
As rudd said tho its pointless adding birds unless you could get them to stop but on the other hand would you notice them in a firefight? so maybe wouldnt matter.Would be cool to hear birds singing when all goes calm after a big battle but its a mappers choice and thay are busy with other things other than sounds.

... you do have a point why would the birds keep singing when there are explosions around ... See Crickets are simple because they are so stupid anyway they wouldnt comprehend that there is a fire fight right next to them ... but Birds ...

Well possibly the proximity effect could be used Such as: ( the black birds flying )..
... sooo ... in a certian area of the map there are a bunch of song birds and when you fire you see the birds fly away like normal and the sounds stop....

have the effect NOT work when you walk in to proximity but only when there is a loud sound such as an explosion or gun shot. ... after a while like ... 5 minutes the birds "return" aka bird calls continue.. ... mabey some one could mess around with the . Bird flying effect ( aka black birds flying when you walk neer a certian area) to only be triggered by sounds and explosion effects.

a way it could work is ... there is the normal Black bird effect when you shoot and then a Second effect which just deals with the sounds of the birds ambients... instead of coding ONE single effect which i dont know if you can do ... you can just have a sound trigger effect. ( btw i know very little about coding )
Redamare is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 19:57   #9
sylent/shooter

it would be hard to link the sound and the effect together. Unless you added that as an effect in a bundle with the birds. The only problem is that the birds are triggerables. So basically to hear the sound one has to be in the trigger space and in which case would make the birds fly away. So no that wouldn't work. You must also remember, like destroyable objects, there is a limit to how many sounds we can put into a map. We don't want the maps to be completely unplayable.

But I do know what you are trying to suggest, but quite simply, the BF2 editor, engine, and generally the game, probably won't allow it to be done. We can always hope though.

@Rudd : I agree with you there, adding some of those sounds are like trying to figure out rocket science, not something I can do by myself :S
sylent/shooter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 21:46   #10
Arnoldio
Banned

Something must be done yeah. The silence is so deafening on Yamalia or some other maps.

Some implementation of winds, cracking trees, birds, or small animals doing random sounds in the forest, or cats in the dumpsters, dogs on the streets (though i thik thats allready in), TV/radios in buildings, waves on the beach.

All that stuff makes you feel the ambien in the map. More of it, more lively the map feels, same with the detail on Muttrah vs Fallujah, where Fallujah really feels a lot more natural.

Look at this vid. LOOK AT IT!

I would need to see more of the map in better quality but anyway, i can feel the heat coming out of that field just by combining audio with what i see.

Last edited by Arnoldio; 2010-07-15 at 21:57..

Tags
ambients, realism, sounds