project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2010-08-23, 07:42   #1
Maniac302
Post Getting Punkbuster to Allow the Steam Overlay

First and foremost, this thread is intended to discuss the issue with using the Steam Overlay on servers in PR, since Punkbuster will kick you for it. It is not a thread about a end-user solution to stop getting kicked. There are threads about that already.

The Steam Overlay cannot be used for cheating. It's only functions are for chatting with Steam Friends, or Browsing the Internet without leaving the game. (Which could be nice to have during moments where there's 5 or 10 minutes with nothing to do but twiddle your thumbs while waiting, for whatever reason)

This is a question for the developers: Is it possible to modify the settings on servers, or PR as a whole, so that Punkbuster will allow the use of the Steam Overlay?

I seem to remember a post that I came across in my search, that mentioned being able to use the Steam Overlay in previous versions of PR. Could someone confirm this?
I also remember a few squad members talking about using Xfire to browse the internet in PR a few months back. Could someone confirm this as well?
Maniac302 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 12:05   #2
Hitperson
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Getting Punkbuster to Allow the Steam Overlay

punkbuster have to do this themselves, i remember the issues with TS overlay.

the reason could be that it blocks PB screenshots so all that is taken is a black screen, they may come up with some sort of fix in the future i guess.

Harrod200:"Fire.exe has committed an illegal operation and has been shut down"
Raniak : "Warning: May crash if fired upon."
M4sherman: "like peter pan but with tanks"
[R-MOD]Eddiereyes909 (on sim tower) "It truly was the game of my childhood and has led to me getting my degree in industrial engineering."
Hitperson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 12:13   #3
Foxxy

Just use xfire overlay, it works great for browsing the web and listening to music in game

No PB problems either
Foxxy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 12:17   #4
Hitperson
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxy View Post
Just use xfire overlay, it works great for browsing the web and listening to music in game

No PB problems either
i think this is more directed to having to disable the steam overlay in order to play PR when using steam.

[R-MOD]Eddiereyes909 (on sim tower) "It truly was the game of my childhood and has led to me getting my degree in industrial engineering."
Old 2010-08-23, 13:32   #5
Maniac302

Why would I use the Xfire overlay when I could use the Steam Overlay? I know how it works, and I've got plenty of friends on it.

Why does the Xfire overlay not cause any problems with Punkbuster? How is it different from the Steam and Mumble overlays?
Last edited by Maniac302; 2010-08-23 at 13:43.. Reason: Gosh durn it, those typos are everywhere. They're like weeds!
Old 2010-08-23, 13:51   #6
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac302 View Post
Why does the Xfire overlay not cause any problems with Punkbuster? How is it different from the Steam and Mumble overlays?
I think because xfire is accepted by PunkBuster, perhaps Steam isn't? Though I remember playing with Steam overlay enabled, and using it, and not getting kicked on pb servers... Perhaps I wasn't playing long enough, I don't know, but I didn't have issues with it. Not even with Mumble's overlay.

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 15:03   #7
Hitperson
Retired PR Developer

but the possibility still stands that it could be blocking PB screenshots.

Old 2010-08-23, 15:28   #8
boilerrat

A while ago (And possibly still) FRAPS was able to be used as a esp / wallhack because of it's overlay.

ArtificialAiming created a free public program that exploited the problem, hopefully that issue is fixed.

Maybe PB is very reluctant to allow overlays for this reason?
boilerrat is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 15:43   #9
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Only older versions of Fraps are blocked.

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 19:53   #10
Maniac302

Yes, I use fraps all the time. Punkbuster never gave me any issues with it. But it dosen't like the Steam Overlay.
Maniac302 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
overlay, punkbuster, steam, steam overlay