project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-08-28, 21:33   #1
Tarranauha200

Default Recon guide

I made this guide while ago and I trough I could post it here too. Comment please.

So, Recon is not thath you take heli ride behind enemy lines, Build FOB and kill everyone. I want to tell you about some recon action. Its about being as stealthy as you can.

Some simple rules for being stealthy: Shoot only if you have to. Report ALL contacts. Avoid large firefights. Recon squad should never attack large group of enemies. When you are in position(roof, hill etc.) spotting enemy troops, be front of dark bacround, you wont be noticed so easy.

Contacts, There is 3 kind of contacts. 1: enemy have spotted you, and you have`t spotted enemy. 2: You have spotted enemy and enemy have not spotted you. 3: Both enemy and you have spotted each other. In 2 you have all options availeble: Engade, Fall back, Observe, Call backup to kill them. Engading should be done whitout giving away your own position. Sniper is excelent for this job.
And the main rule: Longest way is the best way, which means thath you wont be going whit vehicle on main road. Walk away from enemy positions and select best place to move in.

Distance, Keep some distance beetween squad members. Also using the "Two by Two" can be usefull when checking buildings etc.

Smoke, DO NOT USE IT IF NOT NEED TO. Smoke will give your position away, use it only if need to, your man lying wounded on road and you need to cover it. After using smoke, get away from the area as quick as posible.

One squad, one round! Only have one recon squad in round. You dont need more than one recon squad to fill the objective.

And little tip for squad leaders: Use the observer markers, not attack or move markers, everyone will hear when you place move or attack marker.
Tarranauha200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 15:16   #2
mockingbird0901
Supporting Member

Default Re: Recon guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarranauha200 View Post
And little tip for squad leaders: Use the observer markers, not attack or move markers, everyone will hear when you place move or attack marker.
This part right here has been BUSTED by the Reality MythBusters (Or whatever they call themselves..)

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
-Albert Einstein
Volens et potens
Tema567 just might be my new hero
mockingbird0901 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 15:36   #3
Stigma

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarranauha200 View Post
This part right here has been BUSTED by the Reality MythBusters (Or whatever they call themselves..)
Are you sure about that? Because I noticed that Orders like "Move to this position" or "Attack this position" spoken ingame can be heard by nearby enemys, while setting the Observe Marker isnt accompanied by a spoken commando ingame. I experienced it that way.
Stigma is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 15:44   #4
dtacs
Supporting Member

The part about engaging is incorrect. Recon squads are made for recon, nothing else. If you get engaged, run, don't even bother 'calling for backup' because noone is going to get to you.

I love running recon squads (capped at 2 men) but honestly, they're only really that valuable on linear AAS maps like Muttrah and to a lesser extent Kashan. Even then, their job is going to be made pretty redundant by the new UAV with its ability to lase, and its movable camera.

My only really valuable tip is to bypass the commander (if there is one) and just report absolutely everything. <type of enemy> <quantity> <location including micropad>

dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 16:17   #5
mockingbird0901
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigma View Post
Are you sure about that?
Nope, haven't tested it myself, but these guys did.
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10...kes-noise.html
(By the way, how do I make the link small, so that you can make it in to a word...?)

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
-Albert Einstein
Volens et potens
Tema567 just might be my new hero
mockingbird0901 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 16:28   #6
dtacs
Supporting Member

ughh delete this stupid BB code..
Last edited by dtacs; 2010-08-31 at 16:29.. Reason: delete
Old 2010-08-31, 17:26   #7
Sirex[SWE][MoW]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
The part about engaging is incorrect. Recon squads are made for recon, nothing else. If you get engaged, run, don't even bother 'calling for backup' because noone is going to get to you.
No, your view of recon is incorrect.
See my two post in this thread, my name their is: Sirex. Especially the lat post.

SP:WaW Depotâ„¢ :: View topic - Recon and armor
Sirex[SWE][MoW] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 11:16   #8
Tarranauha200

No argue plz. Everyone have their own way they want to recon. I just told the basic things.
And about Mythbusters: This thing needs furter investigation whit video evidence. From now the myth is: unconfirmed
Peace
Tarranauha200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 08:00   #9
Pronck
Supporting Member

But the UAV can't look into every window or building, but Recon squads can! And I think that engaging is really needed on certain situations especially on INS. When your regular INF squads move in after you spotted the possible cache locations and Hideouts by looking at spots where the UAV can't look, they need a little bit of help from you, better said: You need to distract the enemy by leaving 2 of your guys at your old position and order them to go Rambo 1337 Style. Now the INF squad can move in without getting spotted in time because every insurgent will try to take out your Rambos. The Recon squad is actually just spotting, making a road for your INF squads and distracting in time.

We are staying up!
Pronck is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
guide, recon