project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-09-14, 05:11   #1
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default the Mumble squad leader meeting

More and more people are using mumble, this is an excellent development.

however more and more people don't know the meaning of comms discipline :P

I don't mean, "over" "roger" "alphawtfbravodelta" or whatever, I mean just knowing when to speak and when to stfu! :P

1) Does it concern other segments of the team?

yes - move to 2) / no - do not speak on the radio

2) can you mark it with the radio weapon?

yes - use the radio weapon, do not speak on radio / no - move to 3)

3) is it urgent?

yes - speak on radio / no - tell teh commander or type it, or speak if radio is quiet.

The best method of intersquad coms and teamwork is the squad leader mumble meeting.

This is simply when 2 or more squad leaders literally move to eachother's position and speak with local chat. this has significant advantages over the radio.

1) you are talking directly with relevant team members without giving useless info to someone else.

2) you can talk in depth rather than in abbreviated speech on the radio

3) your squad members often listen in and better understand the strategy

but the main advantage is ofc that your fellow squad leaders can still hear rather than listening to dudes chatting on the radio about stuff that doesnt concern them.

ofc the disadvantage is you have to be within 50m or so ofthe person to talk properly

Last edited by Rudd; 2010-09-18 at 05:41..
Old 2011-02-06, 11:21   #2
cyberzomby
Default Re: the Mumble squad leader meeting

Good guide for sure! Just make sure that if you mark something on the map the other guys know its there. I'm one of the few who actually mark almost every contact on the map when I SL (althought its being used more and more) but people dont always seem to be reaction on it. When its busy in SL chat I wont also tell it. But if theres nothing on the radio and its a big thread (tank on the flank of an APC or something) I'm going to report it in as well.
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 13:20   #3
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
but people dont always seem to be reaction on it.
yes it is a problem when contacts are missed by other teammembers, my preferred solution is to literally run to the other SL the contact will concern and tell him in local chat. However if thats not possible the SL radio will have to do, or hopefully a commander is present. No one likes to hear a convo of 2 SLs when they are trying to do their own objectives, streamlining coms is one of the Commanders best attributes.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 13:27   #4
Adriaan
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Excellent guide to comms discipline!

Adriaan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 23:28   #5
goguapsy

Bump.

This requires sticky-fy-ement. Or should be made a rule for Mumble servers.
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 18:17   #6
BenHamish

Excellent if self explanatory, but can I suggest that when contacts are marked on the map other Squads are told verbally ('Tank in Bravo 2, new marker down')? Short and sweet, it't easy to accidentally miss icons because you can filter them out as chat spam.

I also tend to use that chance to say which direction it is moving from the marker i've put down, and which squad it will concern.

Not sure if it's appreciated now though! But my attitude is better to speak than to be quiet, given the coice.
BenHamish is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 19:28   #7
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Yeah Ben, sometimes its good to say verbally, but not all the time, its fine if there is a commander, but SLs need to check their maps regularly - for safety and so coms traffic can be decreased (thats part of the point)

Quote:
('Tank in Bravo 2, new marker down')
Here is an example of unneeded information really, just say "Tank spotted, bravo 2"; there is then no extra information that no1 needs.

Old 2011-08-16, 10:51   #8
Tommygun
Supporting Member

Sadly, Im a chatter and probably one of the people you' like to stfu but I get lonely
Its a good guide and Im a noob (3or 4 months playing) but I feel there can be departures.

Too much chatter is bad on SL chat, agreed. However, if there is not much going down or being said I like to use it for:

Giving a direction to those fast and transitory markers. Vehicle markers are often only relevant for a few seconds so I think direction is good.

I like to find out from distant SL's if fobs are coming up or in the process so I can hold spawn etc.

I like to find out from distant SL's if they are having problems capping/defending or with enemy etc.

I like to know if we have mortars, logis, ammo techies etc available or sharable.

Often people miss typed info.

Maybe there are other better ways of imparting/getting info that I'm not sure of yet?

Chatting (In SL chat) also introduces you and lets people know you use the tool and are available.

I've found this is also a fun game (If I can use such casual terms) and half of that fun is derived from the contact one has with others.]

BTW I have my V key bound to SL chat in mumble and also commander chat in VoIP...Im thinking now this is not a good idea.
Tommygun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 11:02   #9
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
BTW I have my V key bound to SL chat in mumble and also commander chat in VoIP...Im thinking now this is not a good idea.
the worst Idea in teh game tbh mate

the commander has many roles

1) UAV
2) Marking targets
3) Coordinating squads
4) area attack
5) doing logistics and other odd jobs
6) demolishing stuff
7) Passing messages

when a large communication or non-urgent communication needs to be passed via Voice, the commander can do that for you without causing the other squadleaders to want your head on a spike.

If your talking on SL coms alot also, the commander is gonna hear you constantly when he won't want to - making him want your head also.

Quote:
Too much chatter is bad on SL chat, agreed. However, if there is not much going down or being said I like to use it for:
all because in your sector nothing is going on, doesnt mean there aren't 2 infantry squad leaders trying to talk on local mumble in a desperate firefight

Quote:
Often people miss typed info.
yeah, but here's the procedure I use for non-urgent info when commander is not present

typing - Squad 3, from squad 2, does the logistic truck near you have crates?
60seconds or so pass
typing - Squad 3, from squad 2, does the logistic truck near you have crates?
60seconds or so pass
Speaking - typing - Squad 3, from squad 2, does the logistic truck near you have crates?

Non urgent can wait 120 seconds before filling the coms

Old 2011-08-16, 11:08   #10
Tommygun
Supporting Member

Rebinding to save head....
Tommygun is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
leader, meeting, mumble, squad