project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Aircraft Tactics
16 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-10-05, 06:59   #1
Jmek91
Exclamation Recon Helicopters - Flying Solo

Hey folks,

I very much enjoy all things helicopter in PR, and most recently I have been spending a lot of time flying the U.S LB and the MEC Eurocopter on Kashan. My main goal when piloting these helicopters is observing areas that my team doesn't have covered, only engaging targets when I know they can't fight back. It can be difficult at times however, because I often find myself without a co-pilot to help spot and coordinate.

I'm interested as to what tips you guys have to offer about observing without a co-pilot, or any other tips relating to recon helicopters and Kashan.

Oh, and what is that actual model of the MEC Eurocopter?

Thanks!
Jmek91
Jmek91 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 11:25   #2
Zrix
Supporting Member

Default Re: Recon Helicopters - Flying Solo

Eurocopter EC635 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zrix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 11:29   #3
scharf

i would RTB and get somone on the thermalZ
scharf is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 13:59   #4
Pronck
Supporting Member

Fly near cover, don't attack if the enemy position isn't confirmed yet. Use your flares in time and when locked try to avoid the missiles in time using obstacles.

We are staying up!
Pronck is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 00:51   #5
Dirty-Lex

If you are a recon Pilot you have are the eyes of the ground force commander. You see things he isnt able too.

In PR, you are the eyes and ears of the SL's. Your provide accurate information to the Attack guys, in the AH-64's such as laser targets, disposition of enemy etc.

To help answer your question:

YES< always fly with a co-pilot. You need to concentrate of flying the aircraft, and keeping your focus on keeping both of you alive.

The other in the left seat needs to operate the MMS ( Mast Mounted Sight) aka the big dico ball on top of the airframe.

Now: here are some tips to keep you alive and do your job more effectively:

1. Join the Attack Helo sqd, or utilize mumble to effective talk to the Apaches.

2. Fly low over the terrain, conforming to the terrain as you fly, use the terrain to mask your position. for example, hovering behind a hill, building, ridge line etc.

3. use your optics (thermals, FLIR) TO ITS FULL RANGE AND CAPABILITIES
keep your self out of range of the bad guys, because I few rounds of .50 cal from a DHSK gun, or a from small arms and you and your buddy will stuck in Indian country.

Your optics, have a very long range, stay in control, stay safe.

4. talk to the ground force commander, SL, or what ever joe is beating feet beneath you. You might be able to a truck full of bad guys, that he cannot. but more importantly LET HIM KNOW.

5. You are NOT a close combat attack platform, you do not provide CAS. You can if the Apaches are not on station or shot down, but only if you are the closest element.

hope that helps
Dirty-Lex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 02:31   #6
BIGsmalll

@Dirty-Lex
Thats a really good guide there. It even helped me and I'm... "Effectively" good to say the least. I wish everyone who is wanting to do similar things to as recon/spotter for CAS read this. Very helpful.
+mumble helps.
BIGsmalll is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 21:15   #7
Jmek91
Talking Re: Recon Helicopters - Flying Solo

Great tips Dirty-Lex, I will definitely keep those all in mind next time I'm in the air.

Now that .95 is out I haven't had much trouble finding co-pilots. The thermal is a big help too.

Does anyone know what the max range of the Kiowas MMS is? While playing on Kokan I found that I could see about 500 meters, does this vary with the map?

Thanks!
Jmek91
Jmek91 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 16:53   #8
Drunkenup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmek91 View Post
Great tips Dirty-Lex, I will definitely keep those all in mind next time I'm in the air.

Now that .95 is out I haven't had much trouble finding co-pilots. The thermal is a big help too.

Does anyone know what the max range of the Kiowas MMS is? While playing on Kokan I found that I could see about 500 meters, does this vary with the map?

Thanks!
Jmek91
Depends on the map. The range is about the same as the maps view distance. Thermal imaging reduces that just a bit. Despite that, it makes it far easier to see things, was able to spot a hiding T-72 on Iron Eagle hiding in the vegetation in one of the mountain ridges.
Drunkenup is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 21:53   #9
p0m

Personally I love solo recon. One nice thing about it is that I feel less guilty the odd time I have an embarrassing crash into street lights and such. I have a few things I like to use the light helis for.

1) Run-and-gun Quake style kinda nonsense. That is, never staying still, flying low and fast and taking out very specific targets or providing some CAS if I spot a group of guys pinned down. Similar to the way you'd play twitch FPS games.

2) Observation and - if it's deemed safe - a quick extraction of downed people. Nothing sounds better when you're lost and bleeding out in the desert than a Kiowa coming over the hills while the Blackhawk is still sitting in base powering up. Likewise it's also useful for putting a player deep behind lines (on co-op maps generally) to laze targets for everyone.

3) City based maps with lots of streets, buildings and courtyards are generally fun to do solo recon on if a light heli is available. If the server is okay with it, you can also be very useful in an infantry squad rather than stuck in the air squads. You are the eyes and ears on these and because of your size, you can pretty much avoid most AA you may encounter. Since my team can't see through walls its helpful to be flying around, taking note of where you spot enemies and relaying that info back. I can pilot a LB around streets like it was a car and stuff like that can be useful.

Of course you can always get a co-pilot and just hover around and laze targets, but to me this is typically boring. There are other ways of lazing and spotting things that don't put an entire heli to waste IMO, but if your team does need your Kiowa poking its head above the hills to laze, then go for it.
p0m is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 15:22   #10
Q2M100

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0m View Post
Of course you can always get a co-pilot and just hover around and laze targets, but to me this is typically boring.
Real warfare isn't fun either. Yes, gameplay above realism, but don't run around getting 2-3 kills and then lose a 10 ticket helo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0m View Post
There are other ways of lazing and spotting things that don't put an entire heli to waste IMO, but if your team does need your Kiowa poking its head above the hills to laze, then go for it.
IMO, losing a 10 ticket helo for 2-3 kills is worse than providing support to the ground guys so they can cap a flag or destroy a cache.

As a question I have about Kiowas, do hydras lock onto the laze?
Q2M100 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
flying, helicopters, recon, solo