project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Software & Operating Systems
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Software & Operating Systems Discussion on Computer Software & Operating Systems

Old 2010-10-27, 02:29   #1
Ironcomatose

Default Ive got some kind of virus

I clicked on something while surfing google and a install window blindsided me disguised as a windows firewall alert. It shows up as "roaming smart engine" in my programs but i cant remove it or uninstall. Some stupid message pops up whenever i go to any web page telling me it found another virus and offers to remove it for a fee. Also the actual windows firewall keeps popping up asking if i would like to allow the program to make changes.

So far it seems i can just keep pressing no or not now and it goes away but it keeps coming back so i need a permanent solution. Any ideas on how to get rid of this would be helpful. Thanks.

I have windows 7

EDIT: Ive googled it and have found that other people are experiencing the same thing. Some solutions are posted and i will try them

EDIT 2: I know now thats its just a simple malware infection and its only goal is to get me to purchase a fake anti virus program. Ive already begun removing it using a malware program. Apparently many malware programs cant detect this new "smart engine" malware.
Last edited by Ironcomatose; 2010-10-27 at 03:03..
Old 2010-10-27, 05:19   #2
General_J0k3r
Default Re: Ive got some kind of virus

one word: hijackthis and majorgeeks. a mighty combination. also:

hijackthis:
|MG| HijackThis 1.99.1 Download

guide for spyware removal:
READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide - MajorGeeks Support Forums

good luck
General_J0k3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 11:38   #3
usmcguy

my sister had something like that.. start your PC in safe mode and then run a security scan (Malwarebyt's is what I suggest)
usmcguy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 12:26   #4
ryan d ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcomatose View Post
I clicked on something while surfing google and a install window blindsided me disguised as a windows firewall alert. It shows up as "roaming smart engine" in my programs but i cant remove it or uninstall. Some stupid message pops up whenever i go to any web page telling me it found another virus and offers to remove it for a fee. Also the actual windows firewall keeps popping up asking if i would like to allow the program to make changes.

So far it seems i can just keep pressing no or not now and it goes away but it keeps coming back so i need a permanent solution. Any ideas on how to get rid of this would be helpful. Thanks.

I have windows 7

EDIT: Ive googled it and have found that other people are experiencing the same thing. Some solutions are posted and i will try them

EDIT 2: I know now thats its just a simple malware infection and its only goal is to get me to purchase a fake anti virus program. Ive already begun removing it using a malware program. Apparently many malware programs cant detect this new "smart engine" malware.
That not good news. However, it is easy to fix. I've fixed many friends PCs that became infected with 'rogue' anti virus. Given enough time, following advice on major geeks or security experts will get you rid of the virus
ryan d ale is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 01:37   #5
Ironcomatose

Quick update, the malware is gone and all is well.
Ironcomatose is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
kind, virus