project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Software & Operating Systems
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Software & Operating Systems Discussion on Computer Software & Operating Systems

Old 2010-12-15, 02:12   #1
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Serious Browser Problems

I've been experiencing some really odd problems with Firefox and Opera recently where its pretty much impossible to browse any site, epically these forums..

Basically my browser keeps on timing out like I'm on a 56k and its downloading too much, I switched to Opera from FF and that worked for a short period of time but now Opera is acting up in the same way, although I can actually get some where if I try hard enough.

I've tried a few things like restarting the router a few times etc but that doesn't seem to help, the only thing that seemed to fix it for a short period of time was running AVG anti-virus and it fixed/deleted a bunch of infected cookies it found but today when running it the problem was back again, ran AVG again, found a few more infected cookies which I deleted again but this time, no change...

One other PC on this network seems to have the same problem although my laptop seems to be able to browse just fine...

File downloading on my PC seems to be working fine thou, in fact if anything downloading is much faster than normal...

So dose anyone have any ideas what this could be and what I can do to fix it?

Cheers

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 04:27   #2
whatshisname55
Default Re: Serious Browser Problems

Sorry I can't be much help here, but one thing that comes to mind that could possibly be related: How many toolbars do you have installed?

One of my computers had some issue (can't quite remember but I think it was similar to yours), uninstalled a bunch of the toolbars and it was fine again.
whatshisname55 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 04:40   #3
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

By toolbars do you mean add-ons? Hardly any tbh.

The odd thing is that now its behaving fine again after I had played a few hrs of GoldenEye Source....

Old 2010-12-15, 04:55   #4
whatshisname55

Yeah like google toolbar, yahoo toolbar, that sort of crap.
When you first run FF does it take longer than normal to open up the window?

Will be back tomorrow if you still need help, gotta get off now.
Old 2010-12-15, 04:58   #5
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

No I only have the basic stuff, no yahoo tool bars or w/e thous things are crap

Also none of my add-ons have changed since this has started, although its fine now and hopefully it will stay like that.

Old 2010-12-15, 05:00   #6
whatshisname55

Have you tried reinstalling FF? If not and it starts slowing down again try that. But now I really do have to go, cya tomorrow if your still having issues.
Old 2010-12-17, 05:45   #7
whatshisname55

Programs like that are irrelevant to issues like this one. >.>
Well, since someone revived this, hows it going Rhino, are you still having the problem?
Old 2010-12-17, 19:11   #8
WilsonPL

Try to scan your computer with this:
Bleeping Computer Downloads: ComboFix Download
WilsonPL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 23:33   #9
tommytgun

Would you happen to have comcast as your ISP? I have them and they've been having a few problems like this lately. Everything internet-related on my computer works fine except for Safari & Firefox.
tommytgun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 01:48   #10
whatshisname55

I have Comcast but the only problems I've had recently are on these forums alone. Besides do they even have Comcast in Britain?

+Why do people keep posting suggestions to download scans and crap? He already checked AVG and found nothing.

Tags
browser, problems, serious