project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
21 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2010-12-20, 17:52   #1
Zyco187

Default [Map] Objective Firebird (4km) [WIP]

I am working on my first PR map and this is what I have so far. Based on an Iraqi Freedom battle that took place in 2003 Objective Firebird is the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team air assaulting an Iraqi airfield. The US Army will paradrop onto the desert terrain and take control of an abandoned post and assualt North to capture the Bashur Airfield. I intend for this map to be a sandbox map, for example Kahsan where both sides are pretty much equal making it tons of fun.

I am welcoming suggestions to what you think will improve the map

Map Name: Objective Firebird
Terrain Type: Desert
Factions: US Army vs MEC (Iraqi Army)
Size: 4km
Map Region: North Iraq, Bashur Airfield
Map layout- US Army paradrop onto abandoned post and assualting N to capture Bashsur Airfield. With 5 control points inbetween.

US Army
- 2 Blackhawks, 1 Apache
- 2 M1A1 Abrams, 2 Bradleys
- 4 Logi trucks, 3 AA trucks, 1 Crow hummer, 1 transport hummer

MEC
- 2 CAS choppers, 1 Havoc
- 2 Heavy tanks, 2 BMP3
- 4 Logi trucks, 3 AA trucks, 2 jeeps

Here are some early screens

The US abandoned post is done. Only going to make minor changes.

Airfield still needs some TLC
Last edited by Zyco187; 2010-12-20 at 17:58..
Old 2010-12-20, 17:55   #2
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default re: [Map] Objective Firebird (4km) [WIP]

dont place your bases to close to the edges

Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 19:04   #3
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

When i read about a US paradrop and fighting over a airfield, i imagined something very nice, which was not what followed in your post.
Please tell me how could an airborne brigade get abrams?

I would lto have this turn into nice assymetrical warfare, with US utilizing light infantry and air superiority to capture out MEC from their positions, where MEC have IFVs and maybe tanks in their hands, but have to deal with americans having the sky.

Anyway, the GPO and mainbases should ge at last, AFAIK. First of all get the rough shape of the terrain and CPs done

PS: I am playing with an idea of MEC geting a fighter, which could take off before some his squadron geting raped at land, and can be used to help his team, but the only place where it can be reloaded and repaired is the main CP

-cheers, lucky

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 19:13   #4
BroCop

We really a need a "guideline thread"...something alonge the lines of:

1. Make terrain
2. Paint it.
3. Remake terrain
4. Recolor it.
5. Add Statics.
6. Add some more shit.
7. Make temporary flags and stick 2 factions, start thinking about assets
8. Playtest, fix whats broken, balance it
9. Further testing, a pub event possibly
10. Release and run away before someone notices all the overlooked stuff

Or something like that
BroCop is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 19:39   #5
Sniper77shot

Default Re: [Map] Objective Firebird (4km) [WIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
When i read about a US paradrop and fighting over a airfield, i imagined something very nice, which was not what followed in your post.
-cheers, lucky
Just make them have to capture a road junction and then they will get reinforcements with vehicles. You should make a desert oasis with water and have a it in the middle with a river and make you have to build a bridge.
Sniper77shot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 12:26   #6
Wakain

I like the idea of the US airborne infantry having to capture an objective (forward outpost, road junction, village, oasis) before acquiring heavier assets. a sort of reward system like Operation Tempest

alternatively something like silent eagle can be used: a forward airborne spawn and an armored column further away. The infantry has to secure an outpost or key positions on the road to allow the armored column safe passage.

ah well, see what you do with these ideas, I would like to see you trying to avoid creating a kashan 2 (I mean a kashanclone)
Wakain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 15:16   #7
Mora

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post

I would lto have this turn into nice assymetrical warfare, with US utilizing light infantry and air superiority to capture out MEC from their positions, where MEC have IFVs and maybe tanks in their hands, but have to deal with americans having the sky.

Anyway, the GPO and mainbases should ge at last, AFAIK. First of all get the rough shape of the terrain and CPs done

PS: I am playing with an idea of MEC geting a fighter, which could take off before some his squadron geting raped at land, and can be used to help his team, but the only place where it can be reloaded and repaired is the main CP

-cheers, lucky
I like the idea of US having air superiority, but for the love of god if you do make the map like that don't put aa in every conner because there is a apache on it. The team it self can build them just fine with firebases.
Mora is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 20:16   #8
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mora View Post
I like the idea of US having air superiority, but for the love of god if you do make the map like that don't put aa in every conner because there is a apache on it. The team it self can build them just fine with firebases.
I was talking about AAVs (Anti-Air Vehicle, not to confuse ), not about stationary AA. Thay can sure build their own, up to 12 emplacements, you know

Old 2010-12-23, 10:15   #9
Mora

Does the map really need AAVs though, i mean if they can build their own AA. People often see the attack choppers at a huge threat while they are actually very simple to take out. Sure they have the firepower but are limited in a lot of ways.
Mora is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 13:48   #10
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

I think 1 or 2 AAVs, maybe without respawn, wouldnt hurt. especially if we want to achieve assymetrical warfare, where only MEC will have IFVs or tanks, it would be sick if their armored units would have to stick with FOBs only to be under AA cover.
EDIT: it is still too early for this discussion, lets wait till its done and then we can test it on it

On Burning Sand, for example, both team do have AAVs, and their main task is to defend their armored vehicles.

PS: This thread filled me with inspiration, and i threw it on a picture. It is really crappy, but it basically shows what i think this map could turn out to be.

However, I think it would be really hijacking to post it here, partly because WarnABro wants this to be symetrical map, and i see some assymetrical potential in it. So if You, WarnABro, are still looking for ideas and inspiration, i can post it here. If not, i will stop hijacking your thread

-lucky

Tags
4km, firebird, map, objective, wip