project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Mapping
22 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2011-01-15, 21:09   #1
splatters
Default [Map] Rajantie (2km) [WIP]

Name: Rajantie
Location: Kaurila, Tohmaj'a'rvi, Eastern Finland Province 5.5 km west of the Russian border, 9 km west of V'a'rtsil'a'
Size: 2km
Factions : Finland vs Russia
Game Play Type: Focused mostly on infantry and light vehicles, russia might get some heavier vehicles and transport helicopters.

The map is almost 1:1 scale to it's real life counterpart, the real area is about 2300 meters per side. I created the heightmap of the topographical map of the area by tracing the isolines (talk about a pain in the ass) so that should be about right too.

I haven't decided any CP or base locations yet, but I think the finnish base will be in the NW corner and Russian Deployment area in the SE corner to maximise the game area.

actual map of the area:

current colormap:

current minimap:

Base colormap and heightmaps are pretty much done, detail maps will be created of the colormap's layers when it's time.

The overgrowth is rather heavy as it is currently, but it will be tweaked heavily and more (lighter) overgrowth types will be added and new finnish vegitation when they're finished, hopefully. I just wanted to try the base overgrowth map to see how it looks like.

I'll start working on some finnish statics before placing any in the map (houses, barns, more houses etc. possibly some vegitation) In the meanwhile I'd like to get some proper criticism, feedback and ideas on this map.

It's been a while since I last used the bfeditor, forgot a lot of things like how to render the minimap properly etc. I'm learning it all over again and help is appreciated too

Last edited by splatters; 2011-01-15 at 22:03..
Old 2011-01-15, 21:20   #2
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [MAP] Rajantie 2km

very nice mate

Quote:
It's been a while since I last used the bfeditor, forgot a lot of things like how to render the minimap properly etc. I'm learning it all over again and help is appreciated too
we put alot of work in to putting all the tuts in an easy to find place

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...inners-up.html

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 21:38   #3
Pantyfas

Must say that that minimap looks outstanding. Promising map, can almost garantee that the map quality map will be remarkable, we just gotta see the gameplay aspect

Keep it rolling man, nice to see more people stepping up on mapping
Pantyfas is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 21:59   #4
PoisonBill
Supporting Member

Very interesting map I must say, I found some pictures in a place called s'a'rk'a'll'a', east of your map.

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Eniro map:
Kartat, reitit, ilmakuvat, kelikamerat ja paljon muuta eniro.fi:ssä

Google earth, street view:
niirala - Google Maps

niirala - Google Maps

Hope this helps
PoisonBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 22:58   #5
R|ksa

Very nice indeed
R|ksa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 23:38   #6
temexter
Supporting Member

Cool Re: [MAP] Rajantie 2km

Looks good but couldn't spot a single milk platform :/

Last edited by temexter; 2011-01-15 at 23:45..
Old 2011-01-15, 23:38   #7
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatters View Post
even though its lookin really nice your forest is to dense to be expanded to the whole map
the limit of overgrowth is about ~47000 objects

your color map looks really awesome

Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 23:51   #8
splatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Amok@ndy View Post
even though its lookin really nice your forest is to dense to be expanded to the whole map
the limit of overgrowth is about ~47000 objects
Yeah I'm aware of that. Currently the overgrowth covers the whole map and there's a bit over 70 000 objects, probably won't be a problem to go under 45 000 since most of the forest will be much lighter than what is seen here.

Just curious, what is limiting the amount of objects with overgrowth? purely performance? If I use lighter overgrowth models and/or lesser view distance will I be able to use more objects or is there some other limits too?
Last edited by splatters; 2011-01-15 at 23:57..
Old 2011-01-16, 00:01   #9
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

the 47k limit is not a performance limit
if you have more than 47k OG Objects your northern 8 LM Patches wont render OG Shadows

Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 00:06   #10
splatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Amok@ndy View Post
the 47k limit is not a performance limit
if you have more than 47k OG Objects your northern 8 LM Patches wont render OG Shadows
Is that a problem with the bfeditor or game engine? I'm thinking about doing the lightmaps with Max instead of the editor.
splatters is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
2km, fdf, map, rajantie, wip