project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR General Discussion Archives
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2006-09-15, 03:35   #1
Hellfire

Question Concerning weapon accuracy...

I was just wondering if someone could help me out here.
I've come to notice that sniper rifles, (particularly the SVD) are wildly inaccurate at long ranges (200m-400m)
Yet it sometimes seems that a support spraying ammo at you from that distance can still manage to at least bleed you to death while you keep trying to get a good shot off at him.
I mean, it seems like the minimum deviation on sniper rifles is VERY high, for them being sniper rifles.
But since I don't really know alot about this mechanic of the game I was wondering if some people could enlighten me here.
Old 2006-09-15, 03:51   #2
DanDan

and why are the support weapons quite accurate?
Old 2006-09-15, 03:56   #3
Gecko1969

Just a quick side question related to this. I know there is no "Windage" as there is no wind per se. But what about drop? I have been shooting at distance (100+ yard) by adding in drop. Should I be shooting "Crosshair marks the spot" AKA Scan Hits? If there is drop is it different for a low velocity round like a pistol versus the sniper rifles or and AK?
Old 2006-09-15, 04:08   #4
SilvuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire
I mean, it seems like the minimum deviation on sniper rifles is VERY high, for them being sniper rifles.
Realism at its finest. Im hoping in the .4 release they counter the limitation of snipers by making them more accurate. A lot more accurate.
Old 2006-09-15, 04:20   #5
ArmedDrunk&Angry
Banned

the SVD is not on target. other weapons differ as well. Check out this thread
http://realitymod.com/forum/showthre...ght=inaccuracy
Old 2006-09-15, 11:37   #6
NovemberRain

I have a feeling sniper rifles have half the muzzle velocity compared to assault rifles. At distance, M16 hardly needs any correction, but Dragunov at the same distance needs to be aimed half a meter higher. Generally Assault rifles > Sniper rifles in Project Reality. The only problem is LOD, becasue M16's maximum distance is limited to objects visibility, while sniper can still see it throught the scope. If you know the tricks with AK, it's just as accurate as M16.

Some people are very effective with sniper rifles, even with Dragunov, some others, including myself are not. Are there some tricks I don't know or is it just luck?
Old 2006-09-15, 11:48   #7
Downtown_two

How many times does this need to come up? The devs are tightening up the deviation on the sniper rifles for 0.4 because they are introducing the kit limiting.
Old 2006-09-15, 12:23   #8
[BiM]Black7

there is nothing wrong with the SVD i hit prefect with it...

train and train more..
Old 2006-09-15, 12:56   #9
ArmedDrunk&Angry
Banned

look at the screenshots.... the SVD hits way off the mark... you have just learned fo compensate for it by endless pratice
Old 2006-09-15, 14:17   #10
MrD
Supporting Member

the problem with the sniper rifles is too many people are going to buy a gun and go out taking potshots at cars passing down the motorway.

seriously though, you have a side of upto 32 players, how many snipers do you see in real life on a battleground of 2kx2k ???

some people play this game only to be a sniper, they seem to get off on it. instead of making a nicely kit spread team they all go off and do their own thing within close quarters combat. it's just not realistic and we might see a lot of people stop playing come the time when kit limiting means we have players on the server going, "give me the sniper rifle pleez! i'm l33t with it! gimme gimme gimme!" and we might see server admins being slammed for kicking the kids who take the sniper rifle and refuse to give it up when they aren't playing for the team. (whether or not it's for the good of the team or they just simply want the rifle!)

i expect at this point the gaming will go to hell as those who cannot grab a sniper rifle will end up messing the game up for everyone else as they've never used another kit to date, enough to grasp its usefullness at least.

your sniper rifles are staying nerfed for now, till the main update patch of 0.4 just for the reason that it unbalances gameplay to have all these little l33t sniperboyz ingame that fire their rifles like they are using a semi automatic assault rifle. "pop pop pop pop pop!" it gets a bit unrealistic at times really. especially when i'm taking out snipers with the M16 before they can kill me, that's just hilarious!

now, if only we can make the AK fire faster, be more accurate for single shots like the M16, that's a change in deviation and power structure we'd like to see

[R-MOD]Mongolian Dude:
AH man, sarcasm is so hard to get across the web, even if we are both british
[R-DEV]Jaymz: That has to be...the most epic response to a welcome thread I have ever seen. [R-CON]Mr.D ladies and gentlemen!

Tags
accuracy, weapon