project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2006-01-21, 12:56   #11
Hitperson
Retired PR Developer

Talking

Yeah wadup homes is u du' bing bing

back to topic it would be nice if your guy had a chest and a sling just to swing your weapon around on when you get out your pistol would be nice too.

Harrod200:"Fire.exe has committed an illegal operation and has been shut down"
Raniak : "Warning: May crash if fired upon."
M4sherman: "like peter pan but with tanks"
[R-MOD]Eddiereyes909 (on sim tower) "It truly was the game of my childhood and has led to me getting my degree in industrial engineering."
Hitperson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 14:17   #12
TerribleOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawdler
You make a very good point for the fact that BF2 *IS* that detailed due to a very well rounded LOD system. Even old BF1942 didnt really have any problems with a 25,000 polygon weapon model (I tested long ago). The key here is of course the fact that the 1st person model isnt the 3rd person model. You can have 3000 polygons in 1st person and 300 in 3rd person (which would be the highest detail LOD, LOD 4-5 can be like 20 polygons).

Having the rifle, pistol, grenades and possible other things on the high poly soldier mesh wouldnt really add that much in comparison.

Edit: Especially since the only real additions would be one time use weapons, such as grenades. If you carry a rifle, holster it to pull up your pistol, you dont really add much polygons do you? You just shifted it around a little, hehe.

Yes you have low poly models for 3rd person and higher poly models for 1st, but.
The point im pushing was that if you want minute details like slings and animations and visable isolated weapons and items your adding up a large list that has to be deducted in one way or another. View Distance or lower; Detailed Worlds, Players, Vehicles,
even smaller player count or World Size.

You really have to decide whats important. Personally i would rather the view distance be increased whatever the cost.
TerribleOne is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 17:44   #13
dawdler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleOne
Yes you have low poly models for 3rd person and higher poly models for 1st, but.
The point im pushing was that if you want minute details like slings and animations and visable isolated weapons and items your adding up a large list that has to be deducted in one way or another. View Distance or lower; Detailed Worlds, Players, Vehicles,
even smaller player count or World Size.

You really have to decide whats important. Personally i would rather the view distance be increased whatever the cost.
That's what LOD is for. Modern graphics engines are very flexible. It is no longer a clear option between detail and fog range (well it will always be to a certain degree). The most visible example of this is Far Cry. They tossed limitations out the window and made something with AMAZING detail and AMAZING view distance! In BF1942/BFV/BF2 its not quite as good, but you will still see old examples of people removing fog completely on El Alamein and still be able to play.

The "minute details" are only in effect within like 10-20m. That's a tiny portion of a possible 1000m+ view range. But granted, it would hog down if you can gather 64 players hugging each other within a 20m radius
dawdler is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 15:05   #14
Tom#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitperson
Yeah wadup homes is u du' bing bing
fo shizzle, lol
but seriously, is it possible or not( slinging ur weapon, not the ipod, but that would be cool)
Tom#13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 16:08   #15
GRB

A simple solution to this wouldn't take too much. Look at the Anti-Tank class. He has a launcher on his back, seemingly extra ammunition for the one in his hand. On the back would most likely be where a soldier would holster his automatic firearm if it was not needed, not dangling from the shoulder..

Maybe there is a way to get the weapon to go on the soldiers back when it's not in use? It would be a lot more efficient than having to do animations for it dangling on the soldiers shoulder.

I've always disliked the idea of these big automatic weapons just simply disapearing when you switch to your knife.
GRB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 13:47   #16
TerribleOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawdler
That's what LOD is for. Modern graphics engines are very flexible. It is no longer a clear option between detail and fog range (well it will always be to a certain degree). The most visible example of this is Far Cry. They tossed limitations out the window and made something with AMAZING detail and AMAZING view distance! In BF1942/BFV/BF2 its not quite as good, but you will still see old examples of people removing fog completely on El Alamein and still be able to play.

The "minute details" are only in effect within like 10-20m. That's a tiny portion of a possible 1000m+ view range. But granted, it would hog down if you can gather 64 players hugging each other within a 20m radius
Far Cry uses no where near as many player/ vehicle/ effects/ map size as BF2.
You will notice if you take a look at the wireframes of the player models, vehicles and weapons that not only are the models not as dense as BF2 models but the textures look 'cartoony'. That look is caused because they used smaller Texture maps with less detail.
Far Cry used Bump Mapping very well to squeeze detail out of lower poly models.

Also the 'Fog' can never be removed in BF2 regardless of the map. By fog im refering to when the engine renders the map and entities.
I noticed that by editing the text file so that the fog was view distance was maxed you could see the map perfect but not the entities until they got within the normal view.

Games are limited only by hardware. Until the standard of Computer and Graphics processing power is much larger you will not see any games that can do every aspect of a game with much higher quality.
Ie:
Lag Free
Huge Maps
64 players+
Large texture maps
Dense models
maxed view distance.

But it will arrive shortly.
Intel say they will have a 10GHZ cpu out by the end of 2006
Old 2006-01-23, 15:27   #17
dawdler

Quote:
Also the 'Fog' can never be removed in BF2 regardless of the map. By fog im refering to when the engine renders the map and entities.
I noticed that by editing the text file so that the fog was view distance was maxed you could see the map perfect but not the entities until they got within the normal view.
The BF2 LOD system is great, but not perfect. That objects drop out of view completely is a flaw (one that is partially fixed by the new patch btw). Far Cry uses a slightly different version with dynamic LOD for even greater view distance.

Anyway, I dissagree that games are limited by hardware. I'd say the hardware is limited by the game
Old 2006-01-24, 13:20   #18
TerribleOne

Ok, Lets say games are limited by technology. Wheather that be software or hardware it is not possible to have the dream game yet.
Old 2006-01-24, 15:02   #19
dawdler

Quote:
Wheather that be software or hardware it is not possible to have the dream game yet.
Alas, it never is...
Old 2006-01-25, 09:09   #20
Hitperson
Retired PR Developer

Looks like I'll have to stick to good old Far Cry then

Harrod200:"Fire.exe has committed an illegal operation and has been shut down"
Raniak : "Warning: May crash if fired upon."
M4sherman: "like peter pan but with tanks"
[R-MOD]Eddiereyes909 (on sim tower) "It truly was the game of my childhood and has led to me getting my degree in industrial engineering."
Hitperson is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
point, slings